4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Removing tint

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 06:17 PM
chris01gt
2nd Gear Member

Default Removing tint

I noticed my tint has like a purple haze to it. I don't know if it's becasue it's older or what but there are a few bubbles also. I'm gonna just retint the whole thing.

They want to charge me $150 to remove it. Screw that. How do I remove it myself? Anyone done this before and is it easy?
Old 11-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Fryguy22
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Removing tint

yea I just did it a couple months ago. its a bitch but its worth your time. The rear window is tough... All I need was spray some simple green on the window and let it soak in. Then i got a razor blade from an exacto knife and went to work. Be careful about your rear defroster lines, i got mine off without any problems. The side windows are easy. Also get some fine steel wool to remove the glue residue that is left over. Add some elbow grease and your good to go.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:34 PM
chris01gt
2nd Gear Member

Ok sounds like it's be worth an afternoon to save the money. And that $150 was for the rear window ONLY! [&:]

The very top is alreay peeling off so I think im going to try to jack up the defrosters, get a blow dryer on it, then peel that crap off. Never thought of using simple green, I'll try it, thanks.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Lord Ryan

Here's what I did. I know nothing about tint. But when I got my car, the front window tint was pretty scratched up. I found that I didn't need any heat guns or steel wool or anything:

1st step was to get the tint off. It pretty much just ripped right off, leaving all the glue behind. Then I soaked a rag in acetone and scrubbed a bit. This made a horrific mess which I found pretty disheartening at the time. After that, I just used windex on a shop rag. The result was a nice clean untinted, unglued window. I did them both in about an hour. It would have been less if I had a clue up front.

The acetone broke the adhesive in the glue. Then the windex pretty much just wiped it off. I had to alternate a little bit. But the mess was minimal.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:39 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

all i did was use a exacto to start a lip and pulled real soft and even and it'll come off in one sheet (if u can get the back window, your a miracle man) but i actually found that lacquer thiner works well, just dont get it on anything else
Old 11-01-2006, 08:03 PM
Fryguy22
4th Gear Member

oh yea i forgot one thing. Turn on your rear defroster while your doing it. It will heat up the glow and come off nicely. Let it get heated up first.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:12 PM
beastzilla02
5th Gear Member

150 to remove it ?? jesus **** that..my place charged me 20 bucks. lol
Old 11-01-2006, 08:54 PM
35th99gt
1st Gear Member

I have been tinting windows for a couple years. it depends on the type of film and how long it has been on their on how easy it will come off. some tint looks like it comes off but still leaves alot of glue on the window thats not noticable. the best way to remove the rear window tint is to cut open a black trash bag to the size of your back window then soak your back window down on the inside with some soap and water next push the trash bag onto the inside of your back window letting the water hold the bag to the window. park your car so the window is facing the sun. let it sit for an hour or two then come back and re-spray and put the bag back on for about another hour. what this does the window tint is 100% pours in it so it actually evaporates the water into the tint and not the trash bag causing the tint and GLUE to push away from the window. start on the corner of your window and start to peel back slowly. another option is just to get a steamer and steam your window for a while and hold it up to your window as you peel back. that way is a little faster but doesnt work as good.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:56 PM
35th99gt
1st Gear Member

and the reason its turning purple is because its cheap tint and not metalized film. when u get it re tinted make sure its not auto zone crap and ask the place if its metalized film.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:34 AM
chris01gt
2nd Gear Member

Thats a huge help 35th. I think thats what I'm gonna do next time I have a few hours to spare. Thanks alot man.

And I accually found out that they PAINTED the top of the back window! [:'(] There is like a strip of paint that just crusts off and it looks like ****...

Quick Reply: Removing tint