4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.6 Quirks

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 12:43 AM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

Default 4.6 Quirks

I've been in the market for a 99-04 Mustang GT for some time now, about 3 months or so. I've test driven about 5 or so, all but 1 of them had a faint to heavy humming coming from the rear end (differential we think). Do any of you guys have a similar hum? I'm trying to figure out if thats just a Mustang think or if most of them were REALLY beat to hell. It's kinda hard to mess a diff. up seeing as how it's one of the car's strong points. Anyhow, if you guys can tell me some of the things that your cars do, such as noises, throttle responces etc. I just want to know a few things that the cars do so I can know whats normal and whats not, so I know what to expect and all of that. Things, it should and should'nt do. Also, what goes out on them commonly and what do you really have to hammer on to break (abuse signs). Also, how much did you guys pay for you car, what time did you buy it, miles, locaton, etc. I don't want to get ripped off! ANY input will be appereciated greatly, thanks.

-Bill.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:05 AM
ford88
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 4.6 Quirks

does it sound deep and only when you get on the gas slightly so you can hear the hum, cause my 97GT does it when i slightly get on it, but when im hardcore on it all i can hear is the engine drowning everything else LOL, but i asked my friend what that noise was and he said might be a bearing but who knows, he thought i had a T-5 w/e

jus to give you some feedback
Old 11-02-2006, 01:08 AM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ford88

does it sound deep and only when you get on the gas slightly so you can hear the hum, cause my 97GT does it when i slightly get on it, but when im hardcore on it all i can hear is the engine drowning everything else LOL, but i asked my friend what that noise was and he said might be a bearing but who knows, he thought i had a T-5 w/e

jus to give you some feedback
thanks man. the noise im talkin about; its easiest to hear it when you're slowing down a lot, and you have the foot off the gas completely, just before the car comes to a stop its easiest to hear it, no gas from like 20-0 you can hear the hum the best, same hum?

the 1st one i drove that had the loudest hum (louder than the flows it had) was a POS, we told them about it and they said it was a bushing. donno thanks for your feedback
Old 11-02-2006, 01:10 AM
ford88
2nd Gear Member

sorry for the double post

i got my 97GT vert for 6700 dollars USD, it had almost exactly 80K miles on it, it has 85K miles on it now, and i have replaced the fuel pump which was acting up randomly then all of a sudden crapped out on me and i couldnt start it back up, new wires coils from msd ngk plugs, and got new brakes cause im an irresponsible driver and managed to beat on my car so bad that the left rear caliper locked up
got preformance calipers all 4 but higher quality rotors but not slotted or drilled
so I have put in almost 2K in my car

oh and i can feel my clutch getting a little looser might be my imagination, but it was my first 5-speed

bought it from southern indiana where i live
Old 11-02-2006, 01:11 AM
ford88
2nd Gear Member

nah it was only when i was in low rpms and a lil bit on the throttle like im goin up a hilly highway, then i would hear the noise
Old 11-02-2006, 01:22 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

I have 4.10's, but i get a bit of hum

MOST noticeable at VERY LIGHT THROTTLE in low rpms, usually in 4th and 5th..

nothing to worry about though

just make sure the car is visibly well kept up,
and the best thing you can do to prevetn getting a car that is beat to hell is look for low miles..

sure, there are bad low mileage cars, but more high mileage bad cars ;-)
Old 11-02-2006, 02:13 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

I have 4.10's, but i get a bit of hum

MOST noticeable at VERY LIGHT THROTTLE in low rpms, usually in 4th and 5th..

nothing to worry about though

just make sure the car is visibly well kept up,
and the best thing you can do to prevetn getting a car that is beat to hell is look for low miles..

sure, there are bad low mileage cars, but more high mileage bad cars ;-)
me too, I was wondering about this also, I guess I'm not the only one. I have 4.10's. I dunno if its gears or anything but in a high gear cruising at like 40 mph with VERY light throttle I can hear this humming, or kinda high pitched "wompwompwompwompwomp". Is that the noise?
Old 11-02-2006, 05:08 AM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

im so happy.....i have 4.10s and have NEVER heard a pip outa them

as for my car, i bought it for 16,700 in chicago about 2 years ago

im 22 now

pretty steady car, except my fog lights keep goin out! about once every 6-8 months!!!
Old 11-02-2006, 10:09 AM
Gone22
1st Gear Member

maybe it's about how well you got the calibrated. Who installed them? How good of a job did they do?
Old 11-02-2006, 01:06 PM
TruckStang
2nd Gear Member

I got mine in febrary of this year with 24,000 miles on it. Its a 2000. Got it for only 9k from a dealer here in san antonio.

ORIGINAL: SVTBill

I've been in the market for a 99-04 Mustang GT for some time now, about 3 months or so. I've test driven about 5 or so, all but 1 of them had a faint to heavy humming coming from the rear end (differential we think). Do any of you guys have a similar hum? I'm trying to figure out if thats just a Mustang think or if most of them were REALLY beat to hell. It's kinda hard to mess a diff. up seeing as how it's one of the car's strong points. Anyhow, if you guys can tell me some of the things that your cars do, such as noises, throttle responces etc. I just want to know a few things that the cars do so I can know whats normal and whats not, so I know what to expect and all of that. Things, it should and should'nt do. Also, what goes out on them commonly and what do you really have to hammer on to break (abuse signs). Also, how much did you guys pay for you car, what time did you buy it, miles, locaton, etc. I don't want to get ripped off! ANY input will be appereciated greatly, thanks.

-Bill.

Quick Reply: 4.6 Quirks