4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Fast/smooth 1-2 shift on a manual tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 10:51 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Fast/smooth 1-2 shift on a manual tranny

I feel you bro! You and I are in the same situation! Im learning how to driving manual too. Ive gotten much better since I first really began driving it 2 weeks ago. When I first turn the car on, it seems harder for me to start from a stop than when Im stopped at an intersection waiting for the light to switch and than go. I know what you mean about the rough shifting around 1-2...sometimes its smooth for me, other times its not. It seems to go smoother when I DONT think about it so much and just do it. But when I think too much I seem to suck in my stomach and hold my breath and shift just to make sure Im doing it right. People are right here, all it takes is practice. I stalled out Monday accidently because I had my music on and I couldnt hear the engine and well, it shut down on me. But other than that Ive been pretty decent. What I do is when Im shifting from like 2nd-3rd and 3rd-4th I clutch in/off gas--shift--let the clutch out maybe 3/4 then apply some gas...just a bit to keep it moving. Thats how Ive been going smoothly.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:22 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Slicktastyk Matt

I feel you bro! You and I are in the same situation! Im learning how to driving manual too. Ive gotten much better since I first really began driving it 2 weeks ago. When I first turn the car on, it seems harder for me to start from a stop than when Im stopped at an intersection waiting for the light to switch and than go. I know what you mean about the rough shifting around 1-2...sometimes its smooth for me, other times its not. It seems to go smoother when I DONT think about it so much and just do it. But when I think too much I seem to suck in my stomach and hold my breath and shift just to make sure Im doing it right. People are right here, all it takes is practice. I stalled out Monday accidently because I had my music on and I couldnt hear the engine and well, it shut down on me. But other than that Ive been pretty decent. What I do is when Im shifting from like 2nd-3rd and 3rd-4th I clutch in/off gas--shift--let the clutch out maybe 3/4 then apply some gas...just a bit to keep it moving. Thats how Ive been going smoothly.
Haha yeah man that sounds exactly like me. Here I am with 12 years of driving experience and because I'm focusing SOO much on shifting right and using the clutch I often times forget to use my turn signals and get curb happy.

Practice definately makes perfect, but I'm too impatient. Plus with winter approaching the days I will drive this car on the road are limited, at least until Spring arrives. So, naturally I want to learn as much as I can before then.

The worst is that I live on a very steep hill, so when I leave my house the 1-2 shift is always rough, and I have to give it extra gas to move up the hill, but at the same time not be jerky.

Best of luck with learning as well, good to see I'm not the only newbie around here w/ manuals.

BTW, very nice Mach you got! I so wish I could have one, but this is all I could afford.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:26 PM
BoBalls08
2nd Gear Member

just practice and experiment with different foot movements. you'll figure it out...
Old 11-08-2006, 11:28 PM
trance565
3rd Gear Member

if you dont mind the possibility of breaking something, WOT clutchin shift clutch out, while keeping WOT, just gotta shift within like .5 seconds lol
i really dont suggest it, i went thru a stock clutch in 3 months on my integra. but the wot ->clutchin/off gas at same time-> shift->dropclutch->WOT if you do it often enough, you will get it down to like a split second
Old 11-08-2006, 11:50 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: trance565

if you dont mind the possibility of breaking something, WOT clutchin shift clutch out, while keeping WOT, just gotta shift within like .5 seconds lol
i really dont suggest it, i went thru a stock clutch in 3 months on my integra. but the wot ->clutchin/off gas at same time-> shift->dropclutch->WOT if you do it often enough, you will get it down to like a split second
Not a bad idea for learning, but I'd hate to break something so early., I've only had the car not even 2 weeks.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:07 AM
gsxrstang69
3rd Gear Member

Just drive the heck outta your car in different situations. When I first got my car I was a mess. Jerking between shifts and you name it I probably did it. I have it mastered now. Once you get it down you'll find that you can do sum amazing things.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:10 AM
trance565
3rd Gear Member

on thing i still get everyonce in a while is the hopping when starting out, just cuz im bein careless and not watching throttle.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:40 AM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

That too. When I first turn on the car in the morning and such and I let off the clutch a bit and apply the gas, itll move but then itll like bounce and then go again. I dunno the cause of that...maybe im lettin the clutch out too far too soon.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:47 AM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

1-2 i ride the clutch a little. after that i dont really ride the clutch. this is under daily driving. when i want to bash on it. i go wot, clutch in, change gears and then clutch out and RIGHT when the clutch its out go wot. the only reason it is getting jerky when you romp on it is because there is a delay from when the clutch is out to the time when you mash the peddle. get mad at the pedals lol. thats what i do[&:]
Old 11-09-2006, 12:55 AM
akelemecz
I ♥ Acer

Before you can drive a manual hard.. you need to get your shifts as close to as smooth as an auto .. the key is letting the clutch out quick the 1st 80 percent of the way .. and slowing down on the last 20 percent .. and just getting on the gas as you are comming off the clutch without letting the clutch all the way out too soon .. or pushing the gas before the clutch is out .. and its not how hard you can throw the gears back .. its how quick .. there is a big difference there ... the best way to learn is to practice.. but practice the correct way .. I know I was fortunate to learn on a Z06 corvette.. hell you could let the clutch out in 1st and the damn thing would never come close to stalling .... but if you can drive a stock mustang smoothly .. then you'll be good to go when time comes to mod it up .. I know this 1st hand, we just went this past weekend to pick up my little bro's GT from Illinois .. by the time we were back in the NC mountains .. I had him breaking it loose in nice 4th and 3rd gear down shifts and go ... you know .. the fun part about owning a manual .. you can go if you need to .. haha .. anyway .. don't get frustrated .. and learn to feel the clutch .. it will let you know when you're doing well ..

Quick Reply: Fast/smooth 1-2 shift on a manual tranny