4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Another good old nitrous question

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 01:38 AM
FirstStangGT02
2nd Gear Member

Default Another good old nitrous question

This saterday im going to take my 02 GT down the drag strip for the first time. I didnt purchase a bottle warmer yet, and its going to be about 45 degrees out. What can I use for now to keep the bottle decently warm?? Possibly a heating pad? Also I run the 75 wet shot, its the Zex system. I want to run the 100 shot at the drag strip, I dont have a programer, can I still use the 100 jets? Thanks
Old 11-03-2006, 01:55 AM
thornton02GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Another good old nitrous question

i wouldnt spray without a programmer/timing adjuster, thats just me. As for keeping it warm I have no idea other then wrap it in a blanket and you can use the 100 jets for the 100 shot....I was kidna confused on that question.....gl at the track though...post times
Old 11-03-2006, 01:56 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Yes you can use the 100 jets but do so at your own risk. If you see ANY hint of detonation/pinging stop spraying right away. If you don't feel confident that you can do that, stick with the 75 shot.

As for the bottle, just keep it in the passenger seat or something till it's time to go down the track... be sure to keep it warm in your car. Put the bottle in the house the night before so it has a chance to warm up... it'll be fine this way. YES you can heat it up with a heating pad or something but it's not really worth risking over-heating it and losing all the nitrous out of the safety valve.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:03 AM
FirstStangGT02
2nd Gear Member

alright thanks a lot guys, Im going to get a tune this winter. Ive went through 2 bottle of nitrous already with the 75 shot and the car still runs great, knock on wood lol. I dont have a window switch or anything. I spray it once I pass 2500 rpms seems to love the bottle.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:08 AM
thornton02GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FirstStangGT02

alright thanks a lot guys, Im going to get a tune this winter. Ive went through 2 bottle of nitrous already with the 75 shot and the car still runs great, knock on wood lol. I dont have a window switch or anything. I spray it once I pass 2500 rpms seems to love the bottle.
yeah our cars do...I have a friend with a '02 with just exhaust and he ran 12.6's with a zex wet kit 100 shot......
Old 11-03-2006, 02:12 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Yeah nitrous isn't that dangerous as long as you know how to use it... Spraying too low or too high makes for an unhappy engine. The pinging/detonation is what you need to watch for. The hypereutectic piston is very hard, which also makes it very brittle... pinging kills hypereutectic pistons... Not to mention you'll probably bend/break one of the weak powdered metal connecting rods with pinging or detonation for any length of time.

It's VERY easy to get greedy with the nitrous, just always be cautious with it and things will be just fine... for example, since you don't have a window switch, don't power shift
Old 11-03-2006, 02:13 AM
FirstStangGT02
2nd Gear Member

a 12.6? wow that is sweet, well all i have is an exhaust, removed the silencer, k and n air filter and a short throw shifter. I have a video of me racing my friends 95 5.0 cobra he has 275 wheel hp and I beet him by alittle. All of my friends think i have a unique stang the race was with out my nos also... Ive already destroyed a 99 cobra and another 02 gt both had some minor mods, I bought the car with the exhaust and short throw, but everything else looks stock. Maybe it has more mods then I know of..
Old 11-03-2006, 02:15 AM
FirstStangGT02
2nd Gear Member

Yeah i dont need to miss a shift that would be very very bad lol, I also have bosch platnum 2 spark plugs dont know if that helps keep my engine strong with the nos or not
Old 11-03-2006, 02:19 AM
thornton02GT
2nd Gear Member

yeah if you hook/know how to launch good at the track you should run a pretty fast time...waht kinda tires you got? its gonna be cold so make sure u give a good burnout...
Old 11-03-2006, 02:25 AM
FirstStangGT02
2nd Gear Member

there cheap z rated tires i cant even remember the name of them lol. i never been to the track i have no idea if its going ot be slicker then the streets or anything

Quick Reply: Another good old nitrous question