4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Will headers cause a car to run lean?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 03:05 AM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

Default Will headers cause a car to run lean?

Will LT's cause the A/F to lean out?
Old 11-03-2006, 03:51 AM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Will headers cause a car to run lean?

well I dunno - I ran rich - but ever since my long tubes if I dont drive pretty much every day - it will have an episiode in the morning for a few mins - like it will start choking and want to die down - so I have to drive a round at 2-3k rpms untill the computer remaps I guess... Im not sure why it does that - if anybody else knows I'd like to hear it - but I do know that I could stand a dyno tune - I have a diablo - its good enough to do - but i think I could get alot more power from a custom dyno tune - but Im waiting for forced induction before I do that.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:49 AM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

i've been running pretty rich since i installed the lt's.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:11 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Do the smart thing and SKIP the LT's. They will not add any power. A vendor with a dyno told me that headers should be the LAST mod if you want to get the last bit of power from the 4.6. Emphasize the BIT! Another member here has a brother with a dyno and his BBK's added ZERO power even dyno tuned.
Ford did a good job with this motor/car. The exhaust has an H-pipe, 2.25" MANDREL bent tubing. If it were me I would get a pair of Dynomax mufflers welded in place of the stockers, maybe replace the mid pipe if you can run without cats where you are.
I've got a PYPES catted X-pipe and catback with straight thru Race Pro mufflers that I would be willing to sell as I would do the weld in mufflers myself. I would keep my X-pipe so the catback is available. mark
Old 11-03-2006, 11:06 AM
thornton02GT
2nd Gear Member

ive seen dynos proving BBK adding 21HP....it was a post not to long ago....and im getting the LT's for a little more sound out of my car to....
Old 11-03-2006, 11:59 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: sweet99

Do the smart thing and SKIP the LT's. They will not add any power. A vendor with a dyno told me that headers should be the LAST mod if you want to get the last bit of power from the 4.6. Emphasize the BIT! Another member here has a brother with a dyno and his BBK's added ZERO power even dyno tuned.
Ford did a good job with this motor/car. The exhaust has an H-pipe, 2.25" MANDREL bent tubing. If it were me I would get a pair of Dynomax mufflers welded in place of the stockers, maybe replace the mid pipe if you can run without cats where you are.
I've got a PYPES catted X-pipe and catback with straight thru Race Pro mufflers that I would be willing to sell as I would do the weld in mufflers myself. I would keep my X-pipe so the catback is available. mark

What?? What vendor told you this?

"Another member here has a brother with a dyno and his BBK's added ZERO power even dyno tuned" Nothing about that raised any red flags to you? The my brothers inlaws uncle henry's best friends sister information is always wrong. ALWAYS!

Sorry Sweet99, there is a LOT of members here who have installed Headers, gotten a dyno tune and picked up 15-20RWHP from a complete LT/Mid-pipe setup.

I hope nobody takes this advice from you. I believe I firmly own the rights to the ground I'm standing with you, I recall challenging the rather bold claims you make about your CAI and I don't recall your method of testing & getting an accurate result for the claims you've made ever being proven.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:10 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Sweet99, i'm sorry but every post i've seen you make shows that you're an idiot.

To be honest though... you do need a dyno tune or atleast a tune setup for LT's to maximize the gains. Before I supercharged mine, i only raised my avg mph probably about .75mph per run after the LT's and midpipe. The gains were not that noticeable. It reved much quicker I just think the computer needed some help. I got my handheld tuner before the dyno tune and he threw a NA tune on for LT's. Definatly noticed a difference there.

Oh also sweet99. My tuner specifically told when we were dyno'ing my car, his project car (or someone elses i forget) picked up like 8rwhp/10rwtq over the baseline without a tune. After the dynotune it was something like 16rwhp/22rwtq. It was tuned before as well.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:13 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sweet99

I hope nobody listens to this guy. I gained 23 rwhp with my mac longtubes and many others have shown proof of longtubes adding hp. I hate when people put out bad info on here when they don't know what they are talking about. If you don't have longtubes then you don't know what they do. What vendor would actually tell someone not to buy longtubes.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:31 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

Sweet99, i'm sorry but every post i've seen you make shows that you're an idiot.

To be honest though... you do need a dyno tune or atleast a tune setup for LT's to maximize the gains. Before I supercharged mine, i only raised my avg mph probably about .75mph per run after the LT's and midpipe. The gains were not noticeable. I got my handheld tuner before the dyno tune and he threw a NA tune on for LT's. Definatly noticed a difference there.
+1

BTW, I had very noticable gains even untuned with the exhaust work. Never got the car tuned until the cams went in, but I am sure it would have made even more.

My LTs thru the tune of slightly to rich.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:38 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

LMFAO [sm=signs006.gif]

Quick Reply: Will headers cause a car to run lean?