Notices
4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

.020 overbore : Approx hp/tq gains on 4.6

Old 11-04-2006, 03:09 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Default RE: .020 overbore : Approx hp/tq gains on 4.6

ORIGINAL: JD1969

ORIGINAL: Armydad

Thanks,

Being as how I'm doing the bottom end either way, would it be worth a little extra to stroke it? I have no experience as far as a stroked 4.6, some people say good some say worthless, are there any gains?
If you have the extra dough, go for the extra cubes . Just do some research on which kit to go with. Code might be a good one to ask about that one.
I don't see any real advantages on the extra $$ for stroking the 2V. If you have the $$, go with a big bore kit. MMMMM, yummy.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:24 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Well actually I will be having ported SVO heads a Crower blower cam and probably the FRPP s/c. Also headers full exhaust, CAI, TB, I probably should have mentioned all that, sorry.

A .20 will add virtually nothing to your 2v car, espcially with stock heads/cams/intake. Even most of the stroker kits do not add alot of power on built cars.
BTW, in case nobody told ya yet, the FRPP blower sucks. Putting a FRPP blower on a car with ported heads and blower cams is like putting slicks on my old stock 88 bird. I am sure it would be faster than without the slicks, but its still silly.

Also, unless you plan on running an aftermarket shortblock the heads are a waste of time and energy. The proper supercharger setup along with a set of blower cams will have the factory shortblock on the limit without spending 1500 bucks on heads.
Hi and thanks

I am sorry I thought I had mentioned earlier that, Yes I am going to forge the bottom end (SHM has a nice kit for $1500). You are absolutely correct, putting those heads on a stock bottom end would not be optimal, but it can be done along with some other mods and should get you around 320-340 hp. Adding a blower to this combo (stock bottom) would eventually grenade the motor .

As far as the blower, what makes it silly if I get 100hp out of it and I am happy with that hp level? 400 ponies is nothing to sneeze at.

I am not glued to any of my plans, things change, oportunities present themselves, i will stay flexible. I might have a good deal on a Vortech that I am negotiating, for the right price I will scap it up and replan the rest of the build.

Again thanks for all the good responses/info

The FRPP supercharger is not a good choice because you will have a crapton of work done ($$$$) and get lackluster results. If your going with cams/ported heads you might as well get a twin screw KB or centri unit instead of the FRPP.

A forged shortblock/stock head centri or KB would still outpower a ported heads/shortblock with a FRPP blower. Eaton units simply suck.

I have not been impressed with the results of any of stroking the 4.6L 2v engines.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:26 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Code, I am no means a 2V guy, what kind of gains (cube wise) are there the be had from the big bore kit? And why are stroker kits not popular for the 2V?
Old 11-04-2006, 04:47 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I think they have a 302 big bore kit now.

The car just doesn't seem to respond to stroker kits. to guess, I would say it is because the heads simply don't flow that well, so the car has a hard time taking advantage of the extra stroke, and thus filling the cylinder.

I know most of the chevy stroker engines I have seen have aftermarket heads on them to really take advantage of the extra stroke. The 2v just doesn't see large gains from them.

Hell, I haven't seen super gains from the big bore kits either, but there arn't many people running them.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:57 PM
Rantheman
3rd Gear Member

don't get me wrong here but this is off chevy 350's but I have had friend se about 10hp with a 5 cubic inch increase and a compresion increase from 9.1-10.5
Old 11-04-2006, 05:07 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

We rarely do, but... I agree with 2000 here... The eaton on my Cobra sucks... and you will likely NOT see 100rwhp from it. The Cobras dont see that much with a 4v engine! There is a reason one of the first things Cobra guys do (major upgrades) is either port the blower if they have low 500rwhp aspirations (its maxxed out there), or swap for a Whipple/Kenne Belle. Don't waste your money on the FRPP blower... spend it on a Procharger, Vortech or KB blower... I can't wait until I get rid of my HEATon...

Well actually I will be having ported SVO heads a Crower blower cam and probably the FRPP s/c. Also headers full exhaust, CAI, TB, I probably should have mentioned all that, sorry.

A .20 will add virtually nothing to your 2v car, espcially with stock heads/cams/intake. Even most of the stroker kits do not add alot of power on built cars.
BTW, in case nobody told ya yet, the FRPP blower sucks. Putting a FRPP blower on a car with ported heads and blower cams is like putting slicks on my old stock 88 bird. I am sure it would be faster than without the slicks, but its still silly.

Also, unless you plan on running an aftermarket shortblock the heads are a waste of time and energy. The proper supercharger setup along with a set of blower cams will have the factory shortblock on the limit without spending 1500 bucks on heads.
Hi and thanks

I am sorry I thought I had mentioned earlier that, Yes I am going to forge the bottom end (SHM has a nice kit for $1500). You are absolutely correct, putting those heads on a stock bottom end would not be optimal, but it can be done along with some other mods and should get you around 320-340 hp. Adding a blower to this combo (stock bottom) would eventually grenade the motor .

As far as the blower, what makes it silly if I get 100hp out of it and I am happy with that hp level? 400 ponies is nothing to sneeze at.

I am not glued to any of my plans, things change, oportunities present themselves, i will stay flexible. I might have a good deal on a Vortech that I am negotiating, for the right price I will scap it up and replan the rest of the build.

Again thanks for all the good responses/info

The FRPP supercharger is not a good choice because you will have a crapton of work done ($$$$) and get lackluster results. If your going with cams/ported heads you might as well get a twin screw KB or centri unit instead of the FRPP.

A forged shortblock/stock head centri or KB would still outpower a ported heads/shortblock with a FRPP blower. Eaton units simply suck.

I have not been impressed with the results of any of stroking the 4.6L 2v engines.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:08 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

I can see where the 2v heads won't really allow much of an advantage from increased stroke. I suppose that the big bore kit might work better because the increased bore will help unshroud the valves and allow the heads to move a little more air. Oh well more proof that F/I is the way to go with a 2V.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:44 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rantheman

don't get me wrong here but this is off chevy 350's but I have had friend se about 10hp with a 5 cubic inch increase and a compresion increase from 9.1-10.5
All it takes is a little more stroke, and domed pistons, no need to bore..

JT
Old 11-04-2006, 06:47 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

ORIGINAL: Rantheman

All it takes is a little more stroke, and domed pistons, no need to bore..

JT
Highlighted the important part.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Yup...compression will yeild some good power gains by itself, with the more radical engines making the largest gains.

The 4.6L is a square engine (bore and stroke about equal). The advantage the Windsor 289 and 302 have over this engine is the 4" bore and shorter stroke (2.87" and 3.00" respectively). Giving the Mod motor a bit more bore would let it respond more like these engines. BTW, the SBC also has this 4" bore...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: .020 overbore : Approx hp/tq gains on 4.6

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.