4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

ipod???

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 01:49 PM
clarehills
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: ipod???

I agonized over this as well and eventually went with the following:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...amp;i=581DFF20

It was $80 and I am delighted with it.
The advantages:
1) You get to keep your head unit and do not lose any functionality - I can still use the CD player as well
2) It allows you to add on another device such as a satelite radio
3) It was not too difficult to install
4) The sound is excellent
5) If you get an RCA to IPod line in (the type of plug that is used to charge/connect it to your computer) you will get much better quality sound than using the headphone jack.
6) It is a cheap solution
7) I was able to feed the line from the device under the centre console to the inside of the armrest container so no-one can see I have an aftermarket system.

The disadvantages:
1) It does not charge the ipod at the same time but you can always keep a separate charger in the car if you need to - I don't mind not having it charge it because it lasts a good few days and then I just take it into the house and top it up.

2) You cant control the ipod from the car head unit

Lastly, do not go near the radio transmitter options - I got one initially and it was total a**. Maybe if you live in the middle of nowhere there is not much interference but I had aweful trouble with it. Also - the tape options, if you do have a tapedeck give good quality but it is a very untidy solution IMO.
Hope that helps.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:54 PM
clarehills
2nd Gear Member

Incidentally, if you do order from crutchfield, please use my referal code, you will get $20 off your order and I will get $20 off my next order:

Here's my Crutchfield Referral Code: pkat0-0hakc-faj4q

Either way let us know what you eventually go with.
C
Old 12-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

all those fm transmitters are garbage! so i pulled the H/U andinstalled this from crutchfield, it charges the ipod and you can access all the menus
Old 12-10-2007, 03:25 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

i use the 6 cd slots and burn cds. its kinda a pain, but i like it.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:33 PM
effingroovin647
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: clarehills

I agonized over this as well and eventually went with the following:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...amp;i=581DFF20

It was $80 and I am delighted with it.
The advantages:
1) You get to keep your head unit and do not lose any functionality - I can still use the CD player as well
2) It allows you to add on another device such as a satelite radio
3) It was not too difficult to install
4) The sound is excellent
5) If you get an RCA to IPod line in (the type of plug that is used to charge/connect it to your computer) you will get much better quality sound than using the headphone jack.
6) It is a cheap solution
7) I was able to feed the line from the device under the centre console to the inside of the armrest container so no-one can see I have an aftermarket system.

The disadvantages:
1) It does not charge the ipod at the same time but you can always keep a separate charger in the car if you need to - I don't mind not having it charge it because it lasts a good few days and then I just take it into the house and top it up.

2) You cant control the ipod from the car head unit

Lastly, do not go near the radio transmitter options - I got one initially and it was total a**. Maybe if you live in the middle of nowhere there is not much interference but I had aweful trouble with it. Also - the tape options, if you do have a tapedeck give good quality but it is a very untidy solution IMO.
Hope that helps.

agreed stay away from any fm transmitter they are a pain and only work well depending on where you are in your town and what interferes.. the ones that are anywhere decent are upwards of $80... but this from crutchfield
Old 12-10-2007, 07:17 PM
chrismartintx
1st Gear Member

pie makes a couple adapters, just a pain trying to get the correct one for your mach 460 headunit. the later ones w/ 'sat' button can show your ipod text on the display. i just wish my xm direct would have worked... damn visteon.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:57 PM
njdanmustang
2nd Gear Member

I worked for radio shack for a while, check to see if your head unit has a 1/8" headphone jack in.A lot of thenewer systems are using these and it really makes adifference in sound quality.If it does there's a cable that is around 5$ for 3 feet thats 1/8" on each end. There's also a 1 foot cable which is a bit short and is like 4$.

If not your gonna need a the FM tuner, wireless ones range anywhere from 40-70$ based on quality. I'm a fan of the corded ones, make sure it can charge your Ipod tho. Probally 10-20$ cheaper than the wireless.

-Dan
Old 12-10-2007, 09:39 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

yea, i just cant see the point in changing head units tho? ya know.. i still want to use all my factory stuff with my mach system and im told i have to change everything and by pass the amps.
just get the adapter from crutch. most ipod adapters for aftermarket stereos cost 99 n e ways.