4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

CAI vs Silencer Removal and Filter

Old 11-06-2006, 11:53 AM
jmac72187
corner carver

Default CAI vs Silencer Removal and Filter

I have been debating lately whether I want to wait to buy a Cold Air Intake or a K&N FIPK or remove the air silencer and put in a High Flow K&N filter.

How are the gains compared? Is the cold air really worth the extra $100-150 over the filter? The companies tend to claim over 10HP gain but I don't believe these.

Will I feel any difference in the response and power of the car with just the silencer removed and the new filter?

I want to get the most that I can, but I don't want to waste money on something that is going to get me minimal gains over the filter.

Thanks for any responses
JMac
Old 11-06-2006, 12:13 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: CAI vs Silencer Removal and Filter

ORIGINAL: jmac72187

I have been debating lately whether I want to wait to buy a Cold Air Intake or a K&N FIPK or remove the air silencer and put in a High Flow K&N filter.

How are the gains compared? Is the cold air really worth the extra $100-150 over the filter? The companies tend to claim over 10HP gain but I don't believe these.

Will I feel any difference in the response and power of the car with just the silencer removed and the new filter?

I want to get the most that I can, but I don't want to waste money on something that is going to get me minimal gains over the filter.

Thanks for any responses
JMac
No
Old 11-06-2006, 01:19 PM
2004GTRED
2nd Gear Member

EBAY CAI
Old 11-06-2006, 01:22 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

About maybe a month ago, there was a member on here who I believe was there at a before and after dyno comparison with a Stang that had just the K&N filter intstalled. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember right, after 3 dyno runs, there wasn't even a 1HP gain.

There is another member on here who has the JLT intake listed in his sig. In his sig, he has something that says "yes this really works" (referring to the JLT intake). Also, In his sig, I believe it said he gained .9MPH, and a faster time in the 1/4 mile from his JLT intake.

I myself have the K&N filter. After installing it, my car didn't really feel faster, it just felt less "congested" and felt like it breathed a lot better. I also noticed better gas milage.

Even if you chose not to go with an CAI, get that stock filter outta there!
Old 11-06-2006, 01:33 PM
03mustgt
4th Gear Member

Thanks for any responses
JMac
Muscle mustangs and fast fords netted 3rwhp just from removing the air silencer. That means they still had the stock air filter. So IMO the CAI's are not worth the money. Put a K&N filter in it and remove your air silencer. Save your money for something else.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:19 PM
MoKo_04GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03mustgt

Thanks for any responses
JMac
Muscle mustangs and fast fords netted 3rwhp just from removing the air silencer. That means they still had the stock air filter. So IMO the CAI's are not worth the money. Put a K&N filter in it and remove your air silencer. Save your money for something else.

+1 just remove the silencer for a few more horses, and add a k & n for a horse or two and get the same if not better results than most cai's....save your money!!
Old 11-06-2006, 02:20 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

CAI is the worst mod even for the money. I suggest to 'densecharger' if you have wads of cash. OTHER WISE. Save to get a T/B+plenum and work your way down if you want to upgrade intake.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:38 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

I got mine for the looks.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:48 PM
03 GT
2nd Gear Member

K&N and silencer removed here...
Old 11-06-2006, 03:49 PM
orangedrp007