4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Next mod gears. Advice pls.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 09:04 PM
Steve04GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Next mod gears. Advice pls.

ORIGINAL: ponysnake99

boy, i come back and i think theres 4 pages of good info...

and if you're adding any real power adder, i'd personally stick with something not as steep as 4.10's.. even if 3.90's are a tad lower, I know a bunch of people that got 4.10's - added nitrous/blower/turbo - and scaled it back to a 3.73, and in some cases (blower and nitrous) a 3.55 - but it's all what you want your car to do.
he's kinda right, i have a procharger and 4.10's and all a good launch is a slip show on street tires...im not even out of the clutch (feathering the gas at the same time) tryin to keep wheel spin down (i have an IRS so thers hop inolved like crazy too)...and now you say you have an automatic...just change the .67 to w/e overdrive is on your tranny for another estimate...if your building the car up then pic your gears for what you will be putting on it...in the case of F/i the 3.90 should be great...good luck
Thanks
Old 11-07-2006, 11:17 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Steve, sorry for jacking your thread. In the end there still was a lot of good information given.

Street racing - I don't care how "good" of a driver you are... if you're racing - you dont have the reaction time if someone else does something that you can't control. In the end high speed street racing is stupid. That's why when I do it I shut down very early.

If ignorance is bliss you must be in heaven. Again, as of right now you're still just a bolt on GT owner, come back when you have your dyno slip and your pictures of the motor inside the car.

I still don't know why you think that a stock gt Tranny/Clutch and axle will hold that much power. If you know "so much" and are at the shop that much - either your guys dont know what the hell is goin on, you're lieing, or they're not telling you because they want you to break **** so they can make more $$. The stock GT supporting parts (10 spline clutch, 8.8 axle, and transmission (seeing how they crap out on basically stock cars) can't hold much more then 400-450rwhp on any type of driver. Well, I guess you'll find out the hard way. Nice talking to you I guess - atleast you made some valid points, unlike your asshat friend.

EDIT: Yeah I know Cobra internals really suck... they only hold 900rwhp stock

http://www.need2speed.com/vb_forums/...ad.php?t=22565
Old 11-08-2006, 07:32 PM
Steve04GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

Steve, sorry for jacking your thread. In the end there still was a lot of good information given.

Street racing - I don't care how "good" of a driver you are... if you're racing - you dont have the reaction time if someone else does something that you can't control. In the end high speed street racing is stupid. That's why when I do it I shut down very early.

If ignorance is bliss you must be in heaven. Again, as of right now you're still just a bolt on GT owner, come back when you have your dyno slip and your pictures of the motor inside the car.

I still don't know why you think that a stock gt Tranny/Clutch and axle will hold that much power. If you know "so much" and are at the shop that much - either your guys dont know what the hell is goin on, you're lieing, or they're not telling you because they want you to break **** so they can make more $$. The stock GT supporting parts (10 spline clutch, 8.8 axle, and transmission (seeing how they crap out on basically stock cars) can't hold much more then 400-450rwhp on any type of driver. Well, I guess you'll find out the hard way. Nice talking to you I guess - atleast you made some valid points, unlike your asshat friend.

EDIT: Yeah I know Cobra internals really suck... they only hold 900rwhp stock

http://www.need2speed.com/vb_forums/...ad.php?t=22565
hey np man I read everything and I know what I am gonna do I appreciate yours and everyones input on the matter.