4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Going to the track friday...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 04:36 PM
Fizzics Boy
3rd Gear Member

Default Going to the track friday...

the title say it all. im going to the track on friday for the first time to see what my car can actually do. do u guys have any suggestions for me. i know its gonna be a little chilly out and traction isnt gonna be so great since im in new jersey and all.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:49 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Going to the track friday...

ok joe... if you race ladjack... just launch in 3rd... leave the AC on... traction on... O.. and flatten your tires... you'll still beat him.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:04 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

dont dump the clutch and then stomp the gas...feather the clutch and gas to control wheel spin, you'll learn how to launch and what your car can do...get your tires hot (just get on the edge of the water and do a good smokey burn out, not 2 ft deep in it...my tracks an @ss and wont let you burn out without d/r's or slicks though cause they feel it isnt worth it)...begin launchin at the last yellow light on the tree to be moving by the time green comes (red lighting is all part of the learning experience) to reduce your reaction time...try a hot lap or two if its supposed to be real chilly, you might do better the 2nd or 3rd time around...keep shifts smooth too

oh...DO w/e the track officials say, last thing you want is them pissed off
Old 11-07-2006, 05:31 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

are you goin to atco? what town do u live in? i might be at atco on friday also. remember to turn off your t/c also
Old 11-07-2006, 06:01 PM
Fizzics Boy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wwmost

are you goin to atco? what town do u live in? i might be at atco on friday also. remember to turn off your t/c also
im going to englishtown which a bunch of my friends, i live in millstone. my friend wants to race me in his civic and im also probably gonna run against another stang, buts its stock v6
Old 11-07-2006, 06:05 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ponysnake99

dont dump the clutch and then stomp the gas...feather the clutch and gas to control wheel spin, you'll learn how to launch and what your car can do...get your tires hot (just get on the edge of the water and do a good smokey burn out, not 2 ft deep in it...my tracks an @ss and wont let you burn out without d/r's or slicks though cause they feel it isnt worth it)...begin launchin at the last yellow light on the tree to be moving by the time green comes (red lighting is all part of the learning experience) to reduce your reaction time...try a hot lap or two if its supposed to be real chilly, you might do better the 2nd or 3rd time around...keep shifts smooth too

oh...DO w/e the track officials say, last thing you want is them pissed off
why get in the water with street tires?!?!?! The water will get into the tread, and when you go to launch, guess what... your tires' wet... joe, just drive around it...
Old 11-07-2006, 06:14 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

^^ +1 If you have street tires go around the water, do a quick burnout to clean the tires off but do not smoke the tires. Also, dont wait for green to go, go on the last yellow. Like said, feather the clutch out, dont dump it. With street tires its usually better to bog than it is to spin.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:20 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

i was always told w/e tires you got, a little water then pullin out hard (let the car roll for a while after the burn out) will get rid of the water and help with heating the tires easier...hmm...fudge that part then
Old 11-07-2006, 06:30 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ponysnake99

i was always told w/e tires you got, a little water then pullin out hard (let the car roll for a while after the burn out) will get rid of the water and help with heating the tires easier...hmm...fudge that part then
it'll help DR's and other large contact patch/grippy tires heat up quick becuase the water will lessen the power needed to spin becuase the tire will be wet, thus making them initiate spinning faster, quicker, so that whn the water wears off, the tires will be spinning and then heat up... (of course!) but on street tires it's not nescessary... unless you want rubber crud all over the backside of your car...
Old 11-07-2006, 06:49 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

^^ +1 If you have street tires go around the water, do a quick burnout to clean the tires off but do not smoke the tires. Also, dont wait for green to go, go on the last yellow. Like said, feather the clutch out, dont dump it. With street tires its usually better to bog than it is to spin.
Im gonna have to politely disagree. Ive found that being right on the verge of spinning/spinning a little gets the best launch. Is that not true for all cases?

Quick Reply: Going to the track friday...