4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Intake Cracked Help

Old 07-13-2003, 03:25 PM
ExtremeAuto

Default Intake Cracked Help

I have a 1998 Mustang GT and the plastic intake manifold is cracked in the water coolant passage next to the alternator. It keeps pissing out coolant and fills the spark plug holes making the car run like crap. I have tryed everythingto seal up the crack but nothing works. It's about 3/4 of an inch long under pressure and heat and nothing sticks to the plastic or won't once it heats up. What do you recomend to fix the crack.</P>

Extreme</P>
Old 07-13-2003, 04:09 PM
Sean
3rd Gear Member

I think the only option is a new one.
Old 07-13-2003, 04:10 PM
Zcpeanut
2nd Gear Member

theres this stuff called slime i think, its used to fill holes in ur tires... you might want to try to put this stuff in it (its sold at many auto stores, this green goo stuff) it might close the crack, and if it doesnt im pretty sure its resonably cheap, just keep it in case you get holes in ur tires, have you tried rubber cement? or epoxy glue?, if the goo doesnt work, go buy some epoxy glue (i think thats how you spell it)
Old 07-13-2003, 04:35 PM
ExtremeAuto

Yes, I have tryed 5 different kinds of epoxy. They hold great untill it gets hot and then they start peeling back and it leaks. I have used epoxy with fiberglass cloth for reinforcment that lasted longer. That tire slime would do a number on the coolant passages. I need something meant for this application.</P>

Extreme</P>
Old 07-15-2003, 06:06 PM
tripsevn7
Moderating with Angels

buy a new one. dealer cost on the new intake is like 170.00 retail is three hundred
Old 07-15-2003, 06:19 PM
tripsevn7
Moderating with Angels

hang tight, i just replaced my intake on my 98 and might be doing heads this week... if i can get the heads at a good price, i will be selling my brand new 98 intake
Old 07-16-2003, 12:59 PM
gt4me

I found this on another mustang forum. I have a 98 also and am worried that this will happen to me.</P>

"<FONT size=2>Now according to Blue Oval News, even though Ford Motor Company is fully aware of the potentially devastating problem (Ford document #97M91), Ford is only offering an open recall rather then a full recall. This essentially means that Ford will only correct the problem when it occurs rather than prevent it from happening. This may or may not end up being a full recall but for the time being, if you suspect that your car has this problem, be sure to contact your local Ford dealer immediately"</FONT></P>

</P>
Old 07-18-2003, 11:17 PM
tripsevn7
Moderating with Angels

DEALERS IN LOUISIANNA ARE NOT HONORING ANYTHING ON THE MANIFOLD. RAISE CAIN AND THEY WILL SELL YOU ONE AT DEALER COST. DOING THE SWAP IS FAIRLY EASY (4 1/2 HOURS FOR ME) MY FIRST TIME
Old 07-20-2003, 06:08 AM
brockleew
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like a great time to get that free flowing intake....expensive, but MAAAN what a great improvement
Old 08-10-2003, 08:13 PM
Snydaleid
2nd Gear Member

If you still need an intake I've got one off my 96. Mine cracked a few years ago and was replaced by Ford for free. I'm doing a headswap nowso if you still need one let me know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intake Cracked Help