4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New car buying help

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 01:45 AM
ozz316

Default New car buying help

This is my first post here, so I want to start by saying HI. I have quite a few questions that I thought I might be able to get some answers from the people on this forum on. I apologize in advance for the long post. I used to have a 90 LX 5.0 that I sold many moons ago and absolutely loved that car. I am very familiar with the 5.0 liter but must admit don't know much about the Modular engines, but am learning as I go along. I was just going to buy a early 90's fox body again and throw a supercharged stroker motor in it with a 6 speed, but must admit I really love the looks of the 99-04 Mustang and am starting to lean heavily that way. I want to get around 600rwhp out of whatever I choose. I found an 03 Cobra on Ebay that I have really fallen in love with but would like a different color and would hate to drop that kind of change only to start making changes as soon as I get it. Here are my thoughts and questions to go along with each. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

1. Buy newer Cobra (03-04) complete and repaint etc..., question, the Cobra on Ebay is posting 600 RWHP on a stock internal engine. Will this engine hold up?

2. Buy older Cobra and repaint and upgrade. Same question on holding up, plus how expensive is it to rebuild these engines if need be due to mileage?

3. Find a wrecked 99-04 Mustang and repair from there. Other than obvious engine and body parts, what does it take to get a GT to Cobra or above (brakes,tranny, etc.)? Should I consider a 5.4 instead of 4V motor? Can I get up to the HP that I want?

4. Buy GT or wrecked Mustang and stuff a 5.0 (nonModular) motor in it and work with what I know. Can this be done?

5. Last hair brained idea, buy a V6 mustang, yank motor and tranny, upgrade like option 3. Is this even possible?

Thanks again for reading my longwinded post and any advise. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 11-09-2006, 02:16 AM
akelemecz
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: New car buying help

First you have to decide what you want ... Coupe or vert... what are your power goals etc .. once you have those ideals in mind you can go from there ..
Old 11-09-2006, 02:25 AM
ozz316

Definately a Coupe. I was wanting to see around 600 RWHP out of it.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:35 AM
akelemecz
I ♥ Acer

A .. how much is the cobra ... B .. How much do you have to spend on top of the price of the cobra .. C .. I'm still not sold on the durability of stock cobras to hold over 500 rwhp as a daily driver..for an extended period of time ...
Old 11-09-2006, 02:45 AM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

1. Making 600 horsepower out of an 03 cobra is childs play, 5 grand on a twin turbo and you've blow 600 hp clear into 800 rwhp easily...the stock internals are all forged and the block is built to handle forced induction power, but most ppl begin to question the integrity of the block after so much power...but its potent start and get you where u want easily
2. you could go so old as to get a 96-98 cobra which has a REALLY strong alumium engine in it, or get some of the later ones and build them to 600 rwhp with about $10000 in a long block and supercharger...you would also have to put money into the IRS to have it hold 600 hp without shaking like a mad man
3. buying a wrecked one is your own @ss, you get what you pay for and any frame twist or anything will cost you a lot in the end...however if you find a decent one, to get it up to "cobra specs" would require an engine swap (dont try to turn a 2v into a 4v bigger headache than benefit), tranny swap, IRS (if u plan on having one), and complete braking system (cobra's run off the power steering pump). 5.4L are potent motors, but they require a lot of massaging into the engine bay (the Cobra R's with them brought the engine up through the bottom of the car its so hard to get in), but the toque there would be phenominal, but the weight of the motor and the power numbers your looking for are too much of a draw back, you can get just the same (if not better for the street) powre curves out of a 4v than the big 5.4L
4. Thats your choice, the mods would be a lot cheaper and you'd probably just need an engine and transmission to do the swap (maybe a computer too) but its entirely possible, most companies make tubular K-members that will accept a 4.6 or a 5.0L engine, its not hard to find at all and is actually smaller and more lightweight than the 4.6 (yes, the overall bulk of the engine puts its dry weight some 60-80lbs heavier than a 5.0)
5. Buying the V6 would be very similar to buying a wrecked GT...you'd have to change half of it out to get what your looking for, the problem with the V6 is its punny 7.5" axle will need atleast an 8.8" from a GT...just more money outta your pocket
***6. You probably didnt think of this, but if you want straitline performance out of your car to handle that 600RWHP very well...get a mach 1, they have everything the earlier cobras do but a solid axle that saves some time and a lot of money...good luck on your choices, hope it helps
Old 11-09-2006, 02:55 AM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

yea ... 600 whp is easy durgghhh durghhh - haha & 800hp LOL just about 800 whp is a time bomb for anything much less a stock cobra motor....

I have serious questions about cobra blocks pushin more than 500-550 rwhp - any more than that I think your on borrowed time... but FYI anything over 600 whp is not "easy" or "safe" for anybody and sayng otherwise just shows you dont know jack...

modding a GT is always cheaper and better (for the money) - you can forge your GT internals for about 2500 -3000 installed and be good to 700-850 crank hp. And as far as mach 1's go - if your gonna mod it - your just wasting money bc its internals are no better and it wont out perform your forgeded GT - yes the 4v breathe better - but with port and polished 2v or replacement 2v - there is essentially no difference and the small difference that does exist can be made up with 1 or 2 more pounds of boost.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:56 AM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

haha 800 easily - thats funny
Old 11-09-2006, 03:01 AM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

apparently you dont know how to tune, and a procharger system for an 03 will make 700 hp...and if you cant bolt on a centrifugal supercharger, then you just need to hang it up...but this isnt about what you think horsepower numbers are...i gave the guy the info he needed to make his decission, not a chance for you to make remarks
Old 11-09-2006, 03:07 AM
akelemecz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: ponysnake99

apparently you dont know how to tune, and a procharger system for an 03 will make 700 hp...and if you cant bolt on a centrifugal supercharger, then you just need to hang it up...but this isnt about what you think horsepower numbers are...i gave the guy the info he needed to make his decission, not a chance for you to make remarks

You my friend are f'n retarded... real HP does not come easy .. nor cheap ... So is that an F1R procharger running on 105 ocatane ... I mean seriously .. I love how you pull these numbers out your azz...

Do you really understand the ammount of work it would take .. even with a twin turbo and a cobra to throw 800 to the wheels .. you must have a magic wand ...

If he wants 600 rwhp .. buy a cobra .. p&p the blower... swap pulley .. and and throw on a 75 wet shot .. and you'll be there .. but lets see how long that lasts as a daily driver !!!
Old 11-09-2006, 03:15 AM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

what does bolting on a procharger have to do with tuning it stupid ***?

what do you want him to do - run 105 octane in his daily driver? - STFU if your just gonna post dumb **** so you can say something... not to mention he would use like 5 belts a month...

Im sorry kids but anything over 600whp is not easy - and shure isnt safe to run full time on a daily driver

could we have a new rule about talkin out your ***?

Quick Reply: New car buying help