4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Clutch issues Cont'd

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 05:48 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Default Clutch issues Cont'd

Hey guys, long time no post. But, i am still having issues with my clutch. It has been squealing and vibrating and all kinds of $hit for a while now. I went and bought the whole steeda adjustment kit and installed it today. I have been screwing with the adjustments to get rid of the squeal and it is still there and my pedal is super tight and super stiff. Well, first off, when i got under the car to start, the shield was broken off the Tranny. Yeah, BROKEN off. I didn't have a clue why, i thought that the fork was vibrating BACK and FORTH and broke it off. Well, come to find out, weh ni got fed up with adjustments and looked under the car while it was running, i looked at the fork and it was vibrating SIDE TO SIDE. WTF?!?! What would cause this to happen? Is this due to wrong installation of the clutch by the mechanic that did it? I don't understand how else it could possibly move like that. And it starts to make sense that the more i tighten it the little better it is getting but will never be right. So what do you think? is there something not installed right? This was done back in the beginning of the summer, and i took it back to the mechanic three or four times and he was like, "It will get better", or "it's the throw out bearing, contact the company for the clutch" or some other crap. Phew. Back on topic, what would cause the frk to vibrate side to side? Thanks for the help.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:05 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Clutch issues Cont'd

any body help with this?
Old 11-11-2006, 11:49 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

bump
Old 11-12-2006, 02:11 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

If I where a betting man I would say your throw out bearing is bad. Or even the Pilot bearing. Just replace the clutch and the bearings and you should be OK.
How do you know the shield is broke off? Maybe it just fell off because there is only 1 bolt holding it on.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:07 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Would the t/o or pilot allow the fork to vibrate side to side? also i know it is broken off cause the bolt is still in the tranny with a piece of it still there! The more i tighten the clutch the better it gets and wonce i push it in a bit it goes away. I'll be pissed if it is bad cause i just had the damn thing put in no more than 5 months ago!!
Old 11-13-2006, 10:08 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

and thanks for your help!
Old 11-13-2006, 10:15 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

The Throw out bearing is on the clutch fork. SO if the bearing is bad than yes it would make it move back and forth. Another thing to consider is if your cover is broke off than you probably ran something over and it broke it off and when that happened you could have bent your clutch fork and in turn is causing you all your problems. Just a thought.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:22 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Nah, it is def something with the clutch. When i had it replaced i heard a squealing and very little vibration. Barely notice it. Then as time went by, it got worse and worse and worse. Now it vibrates like a mother, i am constantly adjusting the clutch, the catch point seems to constantly change. Maybe it is the t/o. I'm gonna call the company that made my clutch and bitch.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:53 AM
kcp1989
3rd Gear Member

You might be able to turn it into an insurance claim if you ran something over.
just a thought
Old 11-14-2006, 12:43 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

what would i say? I ran over a rock in the road and it tore off the cover and ruined my clutch?

Quick Reply: Clutch issues Cont'd