4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

When to tune?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 12:13 PM
exLT1to01GT
2nd Gear Member

Default When to tune?

So when is it a good idea to get a tune and which should I do (dyno tune or just get a handheld tuner)? With my mods in my sig is it a good idea to get it tuned b/c I think it might be running rich from the midpipe and all the stuff bringing in more air. Let me know and any help is appreciated!
Old 11-12-2006, 12:19 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: When to tune?

a sct or diablo would control the running rich and calibrate for the gears, and maybe give you a few horses but if your lookin for more power from a tune then you need to head to a dyno tuner
Old 11-12-2006, 12:26 PM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

I don't see why you'd need a tune.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:27 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

if he had gears and o/r midpipe then a handheld tuner would be fine.....when he gets into the motor work assuming he does, then dyno tune would be useful
Old 11-12-2006, 12:43 PM
blstoff
2nd Gear Member

dont adjust your A/F ratio unless you have a W/B meter . get the dyno tune but you probably dont need it . it will smell alittle rich w/ catless pipe . plus it's supposed to run rich on cold start-up's . I do my own tuning so I know what the fuel table's look like in the tune . it can get as rich as 12.5:1 on cold start-ups . thats also what it's programed to run at WOT (12.58:1).

edit: those are stock value's .
Old 11-12-2006, 01:22 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blstoff

dont adjust your A/F ratio unless you have a W/B meter . get the dyno tune but you probably dont need it . it will smell alittle rich w/ catless pipe . plus it's supposed to run rich on cold start-up's . I do my own tuning so I know what the fuel table's look like in the tune . it can get as rich as 12.5:1 on cold start-ups . thats also what it's programed to run at WOT (12.58:1).

His car better not be anywhere near 12.58:1 at WOT.

From the factory they are usually around 14:1, or 13.8:1. 12.xx is way rich for a stock car.

You don't need a tune atm, but after the gears you will need some way to correct the speedo. If you buy a handheld now that your local shop can custom tune with you arn't wasting any money with the handheld.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:33 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6
ORIGINAL: blstoffdont adjust your A/F ratio unless you have a W/B meter . get the dyno tune but you probably dont need it . it will smell alittle rich w/ catless pipe . plus it's supposed to run rich on cold start-up's . I do my own tuning so I know what the fuel table's look like in the tune . it can get as rich as 12.5:1 on cold start-ups . thats also what it's programed to run at WOT (12.58:1). edit: those are stock value's .
His car better not be anywhere near 12.58:1 at WOT.From the factory they are usually around 14:1, or 13.8:1. 12.xx is way rich for a stock car.You don't need a tune atm, but after the gears you will need some way to correct the speedo. If you buy a handheld now that your local shop can custom tune with you arn't wasting any money with the handheld.
You run a 13.8:1 or leaner at WOT and get ready for a new motor. That is way too lean for WOT. 12.8-13.2:1 is where it's best and a little rich is better than lean. That is with at least 93 octane. The 13.2 would be more like 100 octane. Brenspeed can do you aq custom tune for your mods and you won't need a dyno expense. Brent has done so many he knows what fuel and timing tables to use for your mods. I agree to wait on the tune until all of your mods are done so you do not need to continually need to change the tune. Do the gears last and you're golden. mark
Old 11-12-2006, 01:37 PM
blstoff
2nd Gear Member

From the factory they are usually around 14:1, or 13.8:1. 12.xx is way rich for a stock car.

You don't need a tune atm, but after the gears you will need some way to correct the speedo. If you buy a handheld now that your local shop can custom tune with you arn't wasting any money with the handheld.
I know what's in the stock tune . have you ever seen the value's in a tune ?
this is how it is :

stock closed loop(part throttle) = a/f 14.64
stock open loop(WOT) = a/f 12.58

if you dont believe me I can show you the table's .
Old 11-12-2006, 01:39 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

this is how it is :

You can show me anything ya want, but I have seen plenty of them (including on my car) on a wideband (aka being dynoed).

My car was running 13.6ish on the stock tune. My LTs and exhaust were forcing it more to the rich side though.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:48 PM
blstoff
2nd Gear Member

this is how it is :

You can show me anything ya want, but I have seen plenty of them (including on my car) on a wideband (aka being dynoed).

My car was running 13.6ish on the stock tune. My LTs and exhaust were forcing it more to the rich side though.
I'm just telling you what is in the stock tune (what the ECM is commanding). if your A/F isn't what you ECM is commanding than your MAF tranfer function need's to be corrected/adjusted .

Quick Reply: When to tune?