MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   3RD SET OF CATS IN ONE YEAR!!! Help!!! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/20504-3rd-set-of-cats-in-one-year-help.html)

mrclean 08-16-2004 10:44 PM

3RD SET OF CATS IN ONE YEAR!!! Help!!!

Alright who can help the NEWBIE!

What I have.
40,000 mile 2000 GT, 5 speed

What I've done.
Diablo chip
Full CAT/back exhaust
Pullies
Cold air
75 mm throttle bodie
MAF tuner

Whats been happening.
Two months after most of the MODS and Diablo chip, The first set of CATS got eaten up and rattle something fierce, that muffler shop replaced them under warrenty but said that I would have to pay for the next set because of the CHIP. I sent back the chip to Diablo they re-burned it with a new set-up and said that this would be fine.

Two months later, RATTLE! Now I take it to a SPEDD shop that says they'll do a CAT swap only if I get a MAF turner put in because that would help it not be SOOOO rich and burn up the CATS, They did the work and what a difference! Great power, smoother power delivery, they said they set the AMF at 12.5:1 air fuel ratio so I would be safe.

Now two months later, RATTLE!!!!!!! Help!!! Has any one else had this happen, mind you this is all of those MODS and STOCK injectors. Whats happening?

Jugador 08-16-2004 10:46 PM

RE: 3RD SET OF CATS IN ONE YEAR!!! Help!!!

whats happening is you are misinterpreting a sign to get rid of your cats as a problem ;)

mrclean 08-16-2004 10:51 PM

I dont think that I am thinking that the CATS are the problem, the CATS going out is the simpton to the problem, the CATS go out as a result of...What?

jdaniel 08-16-2004 11:08 PM

to much unburned fuel getting to them. Bet you are running 93 octane with out any timing adjustments huh? That will do it. Get rid of the cats abn let it burn rich until you can get it timed and tuned.

mrclean 08-16-2004 11:38 PM

Thanx,

I see that you have a Steeda Timing adjuster. What timing do you set it at?

I've read +10-14 degrees is fine and beneficial. Would you agree?

jdaniel 08-17-2004 12:55 AM

It all depends on the year model. If it is a pre 99 then you can safely set to 16 degrees advanced. If you go past 14 degrees advanced on a 99+ then the MIL will come on as though you have a problem.

I love the timing change. It felt as though the car runs so much smoother and has better take off.

RJM02GTDrag 08-17-2004 01:14 AM

What jug meant was the cats gotta go, there is no place in getting these cars to really run and put the exhaust through cats, way too restrictive. As far as timing most cars do best at 14 degrees advance spark at idle. Which is where you set it with a TA or programmer.After that it varies through the RPM range up to 28-32 degrees. I am still trying to learn about this as my Predator programmer gives me a live reading of spark advance and it jumps all around from 10 to 30. I advanced mine with the predator to 12 and it really helped alot like almost 2 tenths in the quarter.

RJM02GTDrag 08-17-2004 01:21 AM

Also that 75 MM TB could be too big?

WHT00GT 08-17-2004 02:13 PM

people still run cats on thier cars???????????:D lol

callmecobra 08-17-2004 02:20 PM

its unburned gas...but still, get rid of the cats for gods sake.