4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MMR shortblocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Kadence
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: MMR shortblocks

i prefer dart blocks, of course its 3k for a bare block [&:]
Old 11-13-2006, 03:27 PM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

ORIGINAL: Armydad

Hey again,
While surfing I got to Modular Mustang Racing, and I must say thier prices are prettey good, I priced out a 600hp shotblock for $2299 ! They have an aluminun block upgrade for 399 more.

Does any one know any thing about them. Are they reputable or are ther horror stories.

Thanks
Once you include the shipping it will cost around $2600 for a block that is standard bore, standard stroke, forged rods and pistons and a cast crank. It will not be percision balanced since they wont have the flywheel and harmonic balancer that you will be using. That shortblock will only handle 550 to 600 rwhp.

I just put one together using my own block for $2600. It is bored .020 over, 3.75 stroker kit, forged rods, pistons and crank. I had it percision balanced with my aluminum flywheel and march dampener. My shortblock can handle 750 rwhp and I can spin it up to 7000 rpms.

If you have a good machine shop in town I would build your own block. For the money you can get a much better block and produce much more hp. But to answer your question MMR is a very good company. I delt with them when I was getting ready for a new shortblock and they have great customer service.

One reason I want to buy a shortblock is so I don't have to take down my car while the engine is being built. The block I mentioned is there bottom of the line, it's only a couple hun more to go to 900hp capable. To me paying 4 to 5 hundred more than you did, is worth it to have a pro assemble and warranty the motor, shipped to my door .

And thank you for the answer about the companys rep, you obviously know what you are talking about, so a thumbs up from you and Drotop carries some weight.

Nanaki are you going with the aluminum block?

Thanks again guys
Old 11-13-2006, 04:16 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Are you planning on making 900HP? Thats gonna be hard to keep streetable. If your gonna go with an aluminum block it would be best to find a machine shop in town to help you out.

The shop I used here in Clarksville Tn did a great and for a great price. $12 per cyl to bore, hone and then hot tank the block. They cleared it for the stroker kit for free and then charged $150 to assemble the short block and gave me a warranty on the build. Most companys including MMR wont waranty the parts just the build. It took me 1 1/2 months to decide what I wanted and to shop around. Talk to the local machine shops and see what they offer at least you can save alot in shipping and you can talk to a builder face to face.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:36 PM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

Are you planning on making 900HP? Thats gonna be hard to keep streetable. If your gonna go with an aluminum block it would be best to find a machine shop in town to help you out.

The shop I used here in Clarksville Tn did a great and for a great price. $12 per cyl to bore, hone and then hot tank the block. They cleared it for the stroker kit for free and then charged $150 to assemble the short block and gave me a warranty on the build. Most companys including MMR wont waranty the parts just the build. It took me 1 1/2 months to decide what I wanted and to shop around. Talk to the local machine shops and see what they offer at least you can save alot in shipping and you can talk to a builder face to face.

No no just 400-450hp. I was just using it as an example. Here in NY the machining costs are much higher, so sometimes pre built is actually cheaper for us than self built. But I haven't decided on anything yet and will be talking to a few shops around, can't hurt.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shifterdelux

You thinking parts, and labor, and you "calculating" retail costs.

That is not called building engine yourself from scratch. You assembling the engine.

Dude is that even English?
Old 11-13-2006, 04:44 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

thats the biggest load of crap.

ORIGINAL: nanaki

i'm getting the MMR 900HP block too. i got a killer deal that i'm not allowed to tell anyone.
There is no good reason they wouldnt want you tell anyone... they dont want you to know how much others have spent.. by discouraging you from from talking about it . If they can offer a good deal they would want to tell everyone so they could corner the market... its like that eaton supercharger buy... if anyone here could buy one why wouldn't they release the price and have all of the buyers confirm eachothers prices.. that kinda stuff is fishy at best, if you have a hook up with them and they gave you a steal they would just say I know him personally and I hooked him for 2k, but for you its 3k - there is no problem there. Im just gettin pissed off at all this secrecy bullsh!T bc thats what it is BS... 99 times out of 100 people who give you that rap are not giving you the deal you think they are. IF they cant be open and honest to all of their customers then I wouldn't want to give them the time of day...

but FYI everybody is going to get a quasi different price... different overhead times, costs deadlines, and sometimes they have nothing better to do so they give you a break. Anyway hopefully they are hookin you up and not screwin you, I just don't like shady buisness

and also.. if you already bought some of these products and have them in your hands (i.e. eaton blower - you're jsut being a dik by not sharing your price and allowing others to get the same deal, we are supposed to be here to help our fellow mustang owners and that is just a sh!ty a way to be, - And what do you think - youre going to hurt them by sharing your price? LOL Like they took a loss to sell it you haha, you have to love the BS game!
Old 11-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Kadence
3rd Gear Member

maybe he knows the guys [sm=rolleyes.gif]
Old 11-13-2006, 04:52 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

I addressed that... thats fine - but theres no reason for the secracy is all im saying
Old 11-13-2006, 06:04 PM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Just talked to some local machine shops, the best price I got to prep block and assemble short block is $1200. Thats to bore, clean, deck, balance and assemble. Add the cost of the rotating assy and I am at $2900. For a few hundred more I can get an aluminum block prebuilt.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:17 PM
bleau
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shifterdelux

Buy shortblock BS!! Build your own.

When it comes to mod motor, Ive seen a 2v done for under 3 grand. That included forged pistons, crank, aluminum block, fox lake P&P heads, fox lake intake, and a dyno tune. We talking about the whole engine.

You can assemble short block yourself using parts from catalog or dealer, blue print it, and balance it, and have a combination that can withstand just as much horsepower. Basically, you are building an engine, why dont you start from scratch and save money. When building a strocker, yes it can be cheaper to get a kit, but a stock displacement? Come on.

Be careful with aluminum block and aluminum pistons. Aluminum on aluminum produces the greatest amount of friction, thus either the piston or cylinder wall must be coated.
Keep in mind the additional cost, finding all the parts plus the tooling.
The cost will deff. add up.
I think for a lot of reasons you might want to buy one complete intead of building the motor yourself.
Space
Tooling (alot of tooling)
Not Fu!!!!! it up.
Availble shops in your area like boring mill balance for a competive cost.

Quick Reply: MMR shortblocks