4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Whats the best way to launch a auto?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 02:56 AM
Steve04GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Whats the best way to launch a auto?

Ok Don't know if this is a dumb question or not but whats the best way to launch an auto tranny from a dig?
Obviously turn off T/C lol.
What about overdrive? Keep it on or off?
Leave it in drive and jus punch it or drop it down to 1st then shift 2nd and hit Drive? what rpm to get a good shift?
Also from a roll say 40 mph leave it in drive? or Drop it down to 2nd then hit drive?

Now Ive been doing it this way. Drop it down to 1st. Turn off T/C. turn off Overdrive. Pedal to the metal shift into 2nd at around 4500rpm Chirp the tires hitting 2nd (love that) then jus put it in drive and hold on. To me this seems the fastest maybe its jus me anyone care to let me know if this is good to do? thanks
Old 11-13-2006, 03:14 AM
Sun01Gt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Whats the best way to launch a auto?

Honestly I have found the best way is to launch off idle with OD and TC off and just let it shift on its own. I've done it the way your doing it and have run the same times as letting it do it on its own.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:20 AM
Steve04GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sun01Gt

Honestly I have found the best way is to launch off idle with OD and TC off and just let it shift on its own. I've done it the way your doing it and have run the same times as letting it do it on its own.
really? alright ill try it from now on thanks!
Old 11-13-2006, 03:25 AM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

Ive experimented with my friends GT and what ive found is:

1) Keep the Traction off and keep it outta Overdrive
2) Similar to manual launches, hold the brake firm and hit the gas just enough to keep the car from rolling, when u take off, let your foot off the brake and feather the gas
3) Again, against what most ppl say, let the tranny do the shifting, it knows its shifting points, so keep it in drive
4) A transbrake always works wonders with a pair of drags or slicks out back
Old 11-13-2006, 04:16 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

ok this is how i do it at the trac. Put it in 1 light gas for half a second then hard gas and shift into 2 at 5,000 the reaction is delayed so it shifts @ 5,200 ( where i want it) and then at that point it dosent matter cause you cant control going into 3rd like you can second.

O/D off dose NOTHING to make your car go faster , having that putting off is going to prevent the car from going into 4th when you are in 3rd.

60' - 2.1462

with 215/60 good years ( wal-mart)
Old 11-13-2006, 04:19 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ponysnake99

2) Similar to manual launches, hold the brake firm and hit the gas just enough to keep the car from rolling, when u take off, let your foot off the brake and feather the gas
3) Again, against what most ppl say, let the tranny do the shifting, it knows its shifting points, so keep it in drive
it will shift at 6,000. Peak HP ( best shift) is 4,800 or so ( i over rev not knowing the peak HP at the time i was at the track)
Old 11-13-2006, 07:59 PM
Steve04GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ponysnake99

When you say feather the gas. Feather it so not to spin the tires i am assuming?
Old 11-13-2006, 08:12 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

yeah, feathering refers to keeping the wheels right on the edge of spinning, but not having your foot to the floor
Old 11-13-2006, 08:29 PM
beastzilla02
5th Gear Member

yeah i was gonna say that..plus if u floor it the torque takes longer to kick in at its peak rpm..so feather it but actually press it..then floor it after a little so u get its full potential..hopefully that made sense to the auto guys lol
Old 11-13-2006, 11:03 PM
fiad06
5th Gear Member

I never started off in 1 from a dig, but from a roll when i downshift to 2nd and upshift to D the rpms keep continuing, so i dont understand what u guys mean by it shifts at 4800 or 5000...it goes to redline even if u shift.right?"

Quick Reply: Whats the best way to launch a auto?