4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

is this true?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 07:57 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: is this true?

UDP's wont affect anything unless you have an dry sump system and an oil pump thats driven off of a belt. Even on the 302's, the oil pump is driven by the distributor, which is driven by the cam which is driven by the crank via a chain. So I dont buy that underdrives will "dry up" an engine, unless its dry sump.
-P.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:58 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

If Ford Racing sells underdrive pulleys, I seriously doubt they will cause any kind of engine damage. A bad install may, however. Simply run synthetic oil and you'll never worry about any such oil related problems again. Royal Purple all the way baby....crankcase, tranny and rearend. Only way to fly!
Old 11-14-2006, 09:15 PM
CarlessAndy
2nd Gear Member

I think the problem was mainly with the piggyback style. Not complete replacment, could be wrong but thats what i recall.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:10 PM
cody6.0
I ♥ Acer

UDP's are over-rated and sold to millions due to that fact.

First off slowing the belt driven accessories down frees up power it doesn't add it.

Doing so can cause issues with the power steering running and the charging system spinning slower.

I myself ran only a UD pulley on my water pump with my GT. The WP can take a little less RPM.

Another thing to think about is that the rubber dampner on the crank pulley went through extensive testing to cancel out harmful engine vibes. The new pulleys that have the dampner still allow certain amount of harmful vibrations. You cannot feel a difference but there is one.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:59 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

what does underdrive pulleys have to do with oil circulating?

3 Pulleys, Alt, Water, Crank...

that guy has been misinformed.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Idiots install UD pulleys without a SFI approved damper. This damper helps DAMPEN damaging harmonics created by the crank. People who don't use one almost always have a catastrophic failure.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:00 PM
orangedrp007
2nd Gear Member

do most of the udps have a dampner sold with them, like ford racing udps?
Old 11-16-2006, 06:21 PM
burning the tiers
1st Gear Member

i have never heard about them messing with the oil. the pully dosent even connect with the oil pump the oil pump runs off of something else. it has noting to do with a after market pully [&:]
Old 11-16-2006, 07:32 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cody6.0

UDP's are over-rated and sold to millions due to that fact.

First off slowing the belt driven accessories down frees up power it doesn't add it.

Doing so can cause issues with the power steering running and the charging system spinning slower.

I myself ran only a UD pulley on my water pump with my GT. The WP can take a little less RPM.

Another thing to think about is that the rubber dampner on the crank pulley went through extensive testing to cancel out harmful engine vibes. The new pulleys that have the dampner still allow certain amount of harmful vibrations. You cannot feel a difference but there is one.
You do what? Isn't the water pump pulley in a UDP kit bigger than stock WP pulley.
And I'm pretty sure Steeda does plenty of research to make sure the balancer does not put out any vibrations. Other company's maybe not so much but there is no way Steeda is going to have their name associated with something that will blow up your engine
Old 11-17-2006, 12:28 PM
cody6.0
I ♥ Acer

Motoblue makes a water pump pulley available by itself. And yes it's bigger thus the reason it under drives the WP.

The water pump is the only thing I feel safe under driving since it isn't short of pumping power even when under driven.

As for other peoples SFI approved crank pullies yes they may put research in but they aren't as good as a stock dampner.

Quick Reply: is this true?