4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Supercharger or ......

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 06:49 PM
jBaby3000

Default RE: Supercharger or ......

Use the money for PCP

but if it was me...id go the supercharging route
Old 11-16-2006, 04:02 AM
Mario02gt
1st Gear Member

alright so theres no more question about what i want to do inbetween fast and look fast. Im oviously goin the fast.. so then iv got about 6k waitin for me when i turn 18 so im (bassically cas money) goin to do the supercharger route. What do yall prefure???
Kenne bell or procharger?? what will i see more power gains in , and which will be beter for a DD?
Old 11-16-2006, 04:12 AM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

Kenne Bell would see more power, because it is positive displacement and boost is always there (helps low end a lot) but for a daily driver, speaking from experience, a procharger builds boost so it is a little easier on internals and drivetrains but there is plenty of power there when u need to tap into it...so it would be my choice for a DD
Old 11-16-2006, 04:13 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mario02gt

alright so theres no more question about what i want to do inbetween fast and look fast. Im oviously goin the fast.. so then iv got about 6k waitin for me when i turn 18 so im (bassically cas money) goin to do the supercharger route. What do yall prefure???
Kenne bell or procharger?? what will i see more power gains in , and which will be beter for a DD?
KB = more fun street car
Procharger = marginally faster strip car

HERE'S WHY:

KB = full boost at 2500 RPM and up
Procharger = just working on getting into boost at 3500 RPM, full boost at redline

Simply put, the KB will give you more power down low which is where most of your driving is, meaning you can be cruising at like 2200 RPM in third gear, drop the hammer for a second, and you'll have nearly full boost while doing it... more power, more torque, MORE FUN. If you're doing more street racing, the ProCharger will give more power up high, but even then only by a small amount, any difference there may be will be made up by all the extra HP and torque everywhere beforehand in the RPM range.

On the flip side, the KB is a bit more expensive. To get a full KB up and running you're looking at about $5200, add 500 for a tune. That's an intercooled KB good for 9-21 PSI, more than enough, seeing as the stock short block will only take about 9psi before it goes, don't forget that KB's intercooler is one of the best. A ProCharger can be found for less, you can probably get the kit up and running for $4800, plus 500 for a tune again. Again here, intercooled, 7-24 PSI.

The KB DEFINITELY looks cooler in the engine bay.

The ProCharger is easier to install (the KB install requires relocation of a lot of stuff, so I've heard, BUT it does come with VERY good and detailed instructions).

Overall: Even for a strip car, I'd give it to the KB... you'll have a tougher time getting it off the line, but when you adapt and get good at it, it -should- be faster at the same boost as a centrifugal.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:17 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Even with realitivly mild stage 2 cams, my car is still not perfectly streetable. Having a built motor car with a heavy cam etc is just not what you want for a dd.

Bad MPG, bad manners, etc etc.
Im not arguing anything, because I KNOW you know more about this than I do, but what do you mean about bad manners? What does your car do that a stock cam car doesnt?
Old 11-16-2006, 04:23 AM
Mario02gt
1st Gear Member

alright well thats the one thing i dont want to do is say good bye to my ingine so what would i replace first so i dont blow it w/ a kb? thats what i was leanin twords. becouse you said n e more than 9 psi it will go?? will i be right around 405 to tha wheels?
Old 11-16-2006, 04:33 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

You can get 400 to the wheels (with a good tune) without much worry There are plenty of people on this forum running high 300's on a daily driver. . Your tranny/clutch isnt gonna like that for a long time, but your engine should be ok. If you want 450+ grab some forged internals(pistons, rods, crank etc.....)
Old 11-16-2006, 01:10 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mario02gt

alright well thats the one thing i dont want to do is say good bye to my ingine so what would i replace first so i dont blow it w/ a kb? thats what i was leanin twords. becouse you said n e more than 9 psi it will go?? will i be right around 405 to tha wheels?
The KB will be fine at 9 psi, when you try to push 11 or higher you'll be riding the razor's edge. The engine will probably do 11 or even 14 for a little while but it's only a matter of time till it goes at that point. Plus, you can always lower the boost by changing the pulley to a larger one.

The best things to do are always run 93 octane, and get a good tune (one that has timing a bit back off the best possible timing settings, and has a good A/F ratio that is a little on the rich side (11:1)). Be sure your fuel system is adequate, KB provides their boost-a-pump to help out your stock fuel pump which is more than enough for 9psi, the injectors will need replacement, but I think that comes with the kit. Outside of those things, you should be good to run 9psi all day long without issues. The KB kit is pretty safe, they don't want to make a reputation for selling "complete" kits that destroy engines.