4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Read my CEL's -- 7 codes, emissions related. HELP please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 12:18 PM
onegreedy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Read my CEL's -- 7 codes, emissions related. HELP please.

ORIGINAL: SOHCtimes2

1. P0443 - Emissions Control Purge Valve (CFAULT)
2. P1451 - Manufactured Controlled Auxiliary Controls
3. P0135 - (O2) Sensors Bank1 / Sensor1
4. P0141 - (O2) Sensors Bank1 / Sensor2
5. P0155 - (O2) Sensors Bank2 / Sensor1
6. P0161 - (O2) Sensors Bank2 / Sensor2
7. P1409 - Manufactured Controlled Auxiliary Controls

What could cause my car to throw all of these CELs? Its impossible for all of my O2 sensors to have gone bad at the same time, especially since one of them is only a few months old (replaced when I changed midpipe). Not only that, but also all 3 of these other codes aswell...Really need some advice on this, if anyone has any ideas what could cause all of these codes please give me any advice you can, I'd love to try to fix this cheaply on my own...before I take it to a mechanic and pay $$$.

are probly the manin reason it says all 4 o2's are bad which i am guessing they are not. reset the codes, and see if it was a glitch, if they all come back you have 2 choices, get a hand held tuner to turn off all the smog stuff except front o2's

if you take it to a shop, unless its a good one , they are gonna start with o2's, then they will try to check stuff after that didnt fix it and you forked out 350-400 bucks

have you done any parts installs's could a wire have come lose somewhere?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:00 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Did the O2 wires get crossed by any chance? Happens more often than you'd think.

You changed your mid-pipe? Did you put in a catted mid-pipe? Sometimes they still need MIL's.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:42 PM
trance565
3rd Gear Member

maybe something in your wiring harness got screwed up? like a short or something, maybe the ecu went poof?
Old 11-15-2006, 02:29 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

My advice? I would pull all your O2 sensors out, pull your MAF sensor, etc and go get you some good electronic contact cleaner.. spray them all good and dry them off, make sure the connectors are nice and clean.. all that good stuff.. but make sure the 02's get nice and dry before you plug them back in. Pull the battery cable and let it sit, then start it back up and see what it does.

Make sure everything is plugged in good and correctly.. you may have debris breaking contact with something or shorting it a bit.. I dont know what else would cause 7 CEL's at the same time...
Old 11-15-2006, 03:10 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SOHCtimes2

1. P0443 - Emissions Control Purge Valve (CFAULT)
3. P0135 - (O2) Sensors Bank1 / Sensor1
4. P0141 - (O2) Sensors Bank1 / Sensor2
5. P0155 - (O2) Sensors Bank2 / Sensor1
6. P0161 - (O2) Sensors Bank2 / Sensor2

What could cause my car to throw all of these CELs? Its impossible for all of my O2 sensors to have gone bad at the same time, especially since one of them is only a few months old (replaced when I changed midpipe). Not only that, but also all 3 of these other codes aswell...Really need some advice on this, if anyone has any ideas what could cause all of these codes please give me any advice you can, I'd love to try to fix this cheaply on my own...before I take it to a mechanic and pay $$$.
P0443 - EVAP Control System Canister Purge Valve Circuit Malfunction
The PCM monitors the state of the EVAP canister purge valve circuit output driver. The test fails when the signal moves outside the minimum or maximum limit for the commanded state.

CAUSE
VPWR circuit open.
EVAP canister purge valve circuit shorted to GND.
Damaged EVAP canister purge valve.
EVAP canister purge valve circuit open.
EVAP canister purge valve circuit shorted to VPWR.
Damaged PCM.

FIX
To verify normal function, monitor the EVAP canister purge valve signal PID EVAPPDC (or EVMV for electronic valve) and the signal voltage (PCM control side). With the valve closed, the EVAPPDC indicates a 0% duty cycle (0 mA for EVMV) and voltage approximately equal to battery voltage. When the valve is commanded fully open, EVAPPDC indicates 100% duty cycle (1000mA for EVMV) and a voltage drop of 3 volts minimum is normal. Output test mode may be used to switch output on/off to verify function.

P1451 is same as above.

P0135 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-11)

During testing the HO2S heaters are checked for opens/shorts and excessive current draw. The test fails when the current draw exceeds a calibrated limit and/or an open or short is detected. Vacuum hose disconnected on EGR System Module (ESM) applications.

CAUSE
Short to VPWR in the harness or HO2S.
Water in the harness connector.
Open VPWR circuit.
Open GND circuit.
Low battery voltage.
Corrosion or poor mating terminals and wiring.
Damaged HO2S heater.
Damaged PCM.

FIX
Wiring.
Damaged HO2S heater.
Damaged PCM.

P0141, P0155, P0161 Same as above

P1409 - EGR Vacuum Regulator Solenoid Circuit Malfunction
This test checks the electrical function of the EGRVR solenoid. The test fails when the EGRVR circuit voltage is either too high or too low when compared to the expected voltage range. The EGR system must be enabled for the test to be completed.

CAUSE
EGRVR circuit open.
VPWR open to EGRVR solenoid.
EGRVR circuit short to VPWR or GND.
Damaged EGRVR solenoid.
Damaged PCM.

FIX
The EGR vacuum regulator solenoid resistance is between 26 and 40 ohms.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:10 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Thanks for all the replies guys. Alot of that above is kind of beyond what I can fully grasp. I'll have to read through it a few times.

Dan04, I don't think I need MILs on my rear O2s. I was running this midpipe for like 4+ months without a problem them randomly got these codes a few weeks ago.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:09 AM
8banger
4th Gear Member

Looks to me they have one common thing....all feed off of a 12 volts ....heated o2's have a 12 volt wire ,same as the egr solenoid and so does the purge valve(I believe)....all feed from 12 volts,,possible wiring short from one..affecting the others or loss of 12 volts to all of them for some reason...I'll try and get a wiring diagram tomorrow(@ the shop) and see we're they are possibly linked.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:16 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

yep,,all use the same 12 volt wire....central juntion block,fuse no. 8 20 amp,,,,check it...could be blown....this will cause all the codes your getting....need a wiring diagram ...pm me laters
Old 11-16-2006, 01:10 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

id test the battery... its possible that your battery is dieing and cant provide enough juice to the sensors. Idk.. i was reading and determined that its a possibility. My friend who just recently crashed his car had it repaired and it was acting up he took it back to the dealer they said that the battery wasnt providing enough voltage to the sensors making his car stall.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:49 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

bump

Quick Reply: Read my CEL's -- 7 codes, emissions related. HELP please.