4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Muffler replacement rather than Catback....

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 12:34 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Default Muffler replacement rather than Catback....

From what I've read getting an aftermarket catback is mainly for sound., and doesn't free up much if any, horsepower. I have no plans on more "go fast" mods down the road, I just want to have my car sounding good. Would buying 2 mufflers be an okay substitute rather than buying an entire catback, or would there be size issues with the inlet/outlet being bigger than the stock piping?
Old 11-16-2006, 12:39 AM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Muffler replacement rather than Catback....

I know that mufflers come in different sized inlet/outlet. It will change the sound...won't be the GREATEST however, anything = better than stock
Old 11-16-2006, 12:40 AM
memphissfinest
2nd Gear Member

trust me i did just the mufflers at first which is the exhaust in my sig but you will want more when you hear other mustangs around. i ended up just getting an o/r h and flowmaster catback. i need to get a new exhaust recording[&:].
Old 11-16-2006, 12:42 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: memphissfinest

trust me i did just the mufflers at first which is the exhaust in my sig but you will want more when you hear other mustangs around. i ended up just getting an o/r h and flowmaster catback. i need to get a new exhaust recording[&:].
Ahhhh I guess I'm f*ckin' cheap hehe. Spending SO much money just for a better sounding car, and no real performance benefit. Knowing me I'd probably get the catted H after I got the catback. I guess there is no easy/cheap way., you have to spend money to get good sound.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:44 AM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

part of tuning for sound deals with the length of the tail pipe which deepens the sound, and a full cat-back would help fufill the sound your looking for better than sticking high flow mufflers through stock exhaust...you'll probably sound as muffled as autozone mufflers on rice is (bad analogy, but u get the point)
Old 11-16-2006, 12:47 AM
memphissfinest
2nd Gear Member

yea i went the cheap route at first with just the mufflers but i couldnt stand it. it didnt sound like enuff muscle. i actually ended spending more money buying the mufflers then the catback than if i would of just did it right the first time and bought the catback. just save a little more and get the catback and h pipe perferably off road but i dont know how your emissions are there.

I guess there is no easy/cheap way., you have to spend money to get good sound.
yea, somebody on here said you have to pay to play
Old 11-16-2006, 12:50 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

yea i went the cheap route at first with just the mufflers but i couldnt stand it. it didnt sound like enuff muscle. i actually ended spending more money buying the mufflers then the catback than if i would of just did it right the first time and bought the catback. just save a little more and get the catback and h pipe perferably off road but i dont know how your emissions are there.

I guess there is no easy/cheap way., you have to spend money to get good sound.
yea, somebody on here said you have to pay to play

Heh I hear ya man, I think I heard someone say that earlier too. What h pipe do you have? Your car sounds good. I won't be getting the Flowmasters, but I'll definately get the H-pipe afterwards to complete the exhaust.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:55 AM
memphissfinest
2nd Gear Member

Your car sounds good.
lol, really? that vid is from when i had stock exhaust with just flowmasters welded in. now i have a mac off road h-pipe and flowmaster super 40 catback, may not be everyone's cup of tea but it definately satisfies my need for deep and loud old school muscle sound.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:57 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Your car sounds good.
lol, really? that vid is from when i had stock exhaust with just flowmasters welded in. now i have a mac off road h-pipe and flowmaster super 40 catback, may not be everyone's cup of tea but it definately satisfies my need for deep and loud old school muscle sound.
Yep it does! Remember I have a completely STOCK exhaust, so anything will sound good compared to what I have. [sm=hail.gif]
Old 11-16-2006, 12:59 AM
memphissfinest
2nd Gear Member

lol i know how you feel when i had a completely stock setup it hurt everytime another mustang with modified exhaust rolled past and revved at me. hell, even some sixers with modified exhausts sounded better [:@].

Quick Reply: Muffler replacement rather than Catback....