4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

two questions about pulleys

Old 11-19-2006, 02:01 PM
bumpinwheels95
2nd Gear Member

Default two questions about pulleys

hey guys

well i still wana get the pulley system from ameican muscle. i was talking to my mechanic and he had two questions. if this is an aftermarket set will u need a bigger belt? or will these fit the belt size? also i told him that it comes with 3 pulleys n he was like when are u gonna buy the other two?> i told him it only camje with three and he thinks i need to buy sotin else for those two work is that right or is that all i need for the underdrive system?

thanks justin
Old 11-19-2006, 02:07 PM
patriot98
1st Gear Member

Default RE: two questions about pulleys

Your mechanic knows everything about pulleys, hes just toying around with you because you dont. Its fun.

Get Steeda, less chance of things going wrong with the balancer due to wrong install or parts getting loose. I think you dont need new belt, as you have tensioner.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:57 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

I would not reccomend BBK pulleys... this guy put them on his car and they were the piggyback style and lets just say they got fugged up, metal shavings got in the engine (no damage to date) and now he has no warranty on his engine with like 20,000 miles on it.

EDIT: I work at a ford dealer and this was a car that came in. I'm very interested in what the techs are doing particularly on mustangs lol
Old 11-19-2006, 03:22 PM
bumpinwheels95
2nd Gear Member

so is the one on american muscle (steeda) good? and is that the only thing i will need to buy to have the UDPS working?
will i need more pulleys or no?
Old 11-19-2006, 03:28 PM
bumpinwheels95
2nd Gear Member

i did some reading and i heard some talk about a Puller what is that and will i need one. i will have my mechanics install this but i want to give them all the info just in case.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:30 PM
patriot98
1st Gear Member

No buddy, they only give you water pump pulley, balancer pulley, and alternator pulley. Thats the only thing you swap. Your mechanic asked you if you have to swap anything else to find if you know why you swapping these pulleys, and so you can learn.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:10 AM
bumpinwheels95
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the info so its only the water pump , altenator and balancer. ok sweet so is it worth getting a new belt for them to throw on when they do this or no>? also again will i need a bigger one? or has ne one had a problem with the old bets fitting new pulleys
Old 11-20-2006, 04:03 AM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

No sir, the stock OEM belt that comes on your engine will work with the UD pulleys. Now if you want to throw a new belt on there while your down there then thats cool too.

But if you dont want to spend the money for a new belt(which would be the same factory size belt of course) then just reuse the original belt. I installed my UD pulleys and just reused my same belt since it was still in good shape.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:36 AM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

Buy a new belt.. It's cheap and the old one has to come off anyways.. Get the steeda's and if he's your mechanic, then he should know what tools he is going to need to get the crank pulley off. The pulleys will be the only thing you need to buy, well and another belt of course.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:23 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: patriot98

Your mechanic knows everything about pulleys, hes just toying around with you because you dont. Its fun.

Get Steeda, less chance of things going wrong with the balancer due to wrong install or parts getting loose. I think you dont need new belt, as you have tensioner.
Maybe his mechanic doesn't know...he might not be familiar with Mustang aftermarket parts. I have come across quite a few mechanics who were less then knowledgable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: two questions about pulleys