What is Safer Wet or Dry Shot? - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Reload this Page >

What is Safer Wet or Dry Shot?

Notices
4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What is Safer Wet or Dry Shot?

Old 11-20-2006, 04:52 PM
Machwon
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What is Safer Wet or Dry Shot?

Both have their upsides and downsides.
Dangers with Wet:
possibility of a nitrous "backfire" blowing your intake through your hood from fuel puddling in your intake
Fuel Solenoid either sticking open, or not opening at all= BOOM
short loss of fuel pressure/lean conditon upon activation (filling the fuel line from solenoid to nozzle)

Dangers with Dry:
You must rely on the car's ECM to add the adequate fuel upon activation- either from the MAF, or tuned setting for nitrous
Must rely on sufficient injectors to add the appropriate amount of fuel.
Nitrous Solenoid sticking open.

All of these dangers can be pretty well ruled out with proper installation and tuning (minus the solenoids locking open or not opening at all)- so it all really comes down to the tune, installation, and moderation used by the driver. The smaller of a shot you are running, the decreased the dangers are.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:53 PM
sk8erdudex
2nd Gear Member

Speaking of random problems and tings of tat nature. I just remember the hell I went through when I first installed nitrous. K First off I had a hell of a time with the wiring. (wasn't to keen on circuits at the time lol) Second off one time I was at some races and for some reason my nitrous wasn't working. Well luckily I had disconnected the nitrous line that went to the intake while I was working on it. cause the cops came and we had to split real quick. Well while I was driving off my nitrous solenoid freaked out and nitrous just sprayed out. I can't imagine if it had been connected to the intake lol. Good times
Old 11-20-2006, 06:00 PM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

with a window switch you eliminate the possibility of pooling and blowing up your intake manifold.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:24 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

Depends on your shot - 0-80 shot Dry is safer, 80+ wet is safer , its all in the tuning
Old 11-20-2006, 06:26 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

Depends on your shot - 0-80 shot Dry is safer, 80+ wet is safer , its all in the tuning
Old 11-20-2006, 06:27 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: geetee03

with a window switch you eliminate the possibility of pooling and blowing up your intake manifold.

this does not eliminate that possiblity, just reduce it - those safety devices have been known to fail
Old 11-20-2006, 06:33 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Any type of FORCED INDUCTION is a risk. Wether its supercharger, turbo, nitrous, etc. Your gonna run risks. Its all in the [email protected]$ of the driver and his knowledge of his car and how far he's willing to push her. I'd say you have a better chance in running into the side walls of the race track then blowing something in a properly tunned and installed Nitrous System, wet or dry.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:46 PM
Machwon
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mylongvictor

Any type of FORCED INDUCTION is a risk. Wether its supercharger, turbo, nitrous, etc. Your gonna run risks.

J/K man! Longvictor has a good point- any power adder the pushes the limit of an engine's capabilities runs the risk of going boom. I have ran both wet and dry kits....and I prefer a blower now.