4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

suspension questions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 04:44 PM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

Default suspension questions?

Should I go with adjustable control arms or the regular ones?

What are the major differences between the two?

What do subframe connectors do?

What does a tubular k-member do?

What does a panhard bar do?

I've been looking into the strange 10 way adjustbale shocks and struts are they good?

Which of these should I get first?

Sorry for all of my stupid questions just trying to get the best deal.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:44 PM
JimboGT01
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: suspension questions?

been asking around aswell so ill try to answer your questions to my fullest

Regulars are fine for the control arms, adjustables would be good for a car putting down lots of power
the adjustment help with the pinion angle, i believe.
subframe connectors are basicly welded on strip to help reduce the amount of flex in the frame
K-members are a great weight reduction and good way to open up engine space
panhard bar i don know
strange 10ways are very good

Id do control arms, shocks/struts, subframe connectors,.........then maybe.... k member with a arms and the panhard bar.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Jakes
2nd Gear Member

Go here and read up on the suspension basics and then ask your questions. http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/t_suspension.htm
Old 11-21-2006, 03:15 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jpmustanggt

1. Should I go with adjustable control arms or the regular ones?

2. What are the major differences between the two?

3. What do subframe connectors do?

4. What does a tubular k-member do?

5. What does a panhard bar do?

6. I've been looking into the strange 10 way adjustbale shocks and struts are they good?

7. Which of these should I get first?

1. Adjustable control arms I believe are mainly in very high HP applications where you need a run a very tall slick, they allow you to raise the rear end up to allow room for the tall slick.

2. One is simply height adjustable and the other is not.

3. Subframe connectors run the length of the cars frame and simply add strength to it, this helps with chassis flex during hard launches and/or cornering.

4. Tubular K-members are as said before a great way to loose some weight and they are also stronger then the stock K-member. They also take up less room and allow for more engine space. Some are even used to position the engine a bit farther back in the engine bay to create better weight distribution.

5. A panhard bar is used to keep the solid axle in the rear from being able to shift side to side, this side to side motion occurs when cornering hard and can create unstable handeling characteristics.

6. Everything I have ever heard about them has been positive.

7. U/L Control Arms, Subframe Connectors, and shocks/struts would probably be first out of the things you asked about. Panhard bars are really just for handeling so not necessary if you are primarily into strait-line performance. In order to do the K-member I believe you also have to run tubular control arms in the front which require a coilover conversion. Just something to keep in mind.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-21-2006, 03:20 PM
JimboGT01
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SOHCtimes2

ORIGINAL: jpmustanggt

1. Should I go with adjustable control arms or the regular ones?

2. What are the major differences between the two?

3. What do subframe connectors do?

4. What does a tubular k-member do?

5. What does a panhard bar do?

6. I've been looking into the strange 10 way adjustbale shocks and struts are they good?

7. Which of these should I get first?

1. Adjustable control arms I believe are mainly in very high HP applications where you need a run a very tall slick, they allow you to raise the rear end up to allow room for the tall slick.

2. One is simply height adjustable and the other is not.

3. Subframe connectors run the length of the cars frame and simply add strength to it, this helps with chassis flex during hard launches and/or cornering.

4. Tubular K-members are as said before a great way to loose some weight and they are also stronger then the stock K-member. They also take up less room and allow for more engine space. Some are even used to position the engine a bit farther back in the engine bay to create better weight distribution.

5. A panhard bar is used to keep the solid axle in the rear from being able to shift side to side, this side to side motion occurs when cornering hard and can create unstable handeling characteristics.

6. Everything I have ever heard about them has been positive.

7. U/L Control Arms, Subframe Connectors, and shocks/struts would probably be first out of the things you asked about. Panhard bars are really just for handeling so not necessary if you are primarily into strait-line performance. In order to do the K-member I believe you also have to run tubular control arms in the front which require a coilover conversion. Just something to keep in mind.

Hope this helps!
It doesnt require the coilovers and you dont have to run the tubular a arms.....however you can do both of these, as i did.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:37 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

^^ My bad, I wasn't 100% sure on that one. If I was going to go through the trouble of doing the tubular K-member swap I would definately go with tubular a-arms and coilovers though. lol