4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help me find the right catback!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 08:04 PM
Azure
2nd Gear Member

Default Help me find the right catback!

I'm looking for pretty specific things in my catback. I like having a deep rumble, not super loud, a deep rumbling exhaust note that you can FEEL more than HEAR, which is why I'm going with the MAC O/R Prochamber for my midpipe (I've heard a lot about the sound of these things, and I like what I hear from exhaust clips)

What I can't hear from exhaust clips is how the things sound in the cabin. I want something that's going to be not too loud inside when I'm cruising - bearable to listen to on the highway, my car's a daily driver and I do a TON of highway driving. But I also want it to be loud and mean when I open up the throttle.

I've already heard about how Flowmasters drone so they're out. Right now I'm looking at the MAC base catback (not the SS), which runs about $320. Any insight on these? What else might give me what I want? I really don't want to spend more than $400 shipped.

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2006, 08:12 PM
Triisomy21
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Help me find the right catback!

borla stingers and mac prochamber. The stingers alone sound great.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:16 PM
gsxrstang69
3rd Gear Member

My Flows really dont drone any more than my freinds MAC catback. Ive driven both cars and they both sound the same.

It sounds like a MAC Off Road H and a Flowmaster 40 Series Catback would satisfy you. If you have the money get Magnaflow or SLP LM2!!!
Old 11-20-2006, 08:17 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

I think MAC catback is really what you're after. I know its what I want to switch over to!
Old 11-20-2006, 08:31 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

if you don't want the drone or interior noise, I'd say go with magnaflows. not magnapacks, just regular magnaflows. I had a loud setup and got sick of cops pulling me over for it and switched to the magnaflows and I'm happy with the switch.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:35 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

if you don't want the drone or interior noise, I'd say go with magnaflows. not magnapacks, just regular magnaflows. I had a loud setup and got sick of cops pulling me over for it and switched to the magnaflows and I'm happy with the switch.
Wow, my car is pretty damn loud and I have NEVER been pulled over in my Mustang. Even when Im driving side by side next to cops, I dont even try to keep it quiet or anything either. Around here all the imports are the ones getting busted for exhaust. lol
Old 11-20-2006, 08:43 PM
jeffjohn

I'll agree with redass02gt when it comes to the regular magnaflows...they sound deep and not too raspy...plus i know a website that you can buy the regular or magnapacks for $358 shipped.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:49 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

ORIGINAL: SOHCtimes2

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

Wow, my car is pretty damn loud and I have NEVER been pulled over in my Mustang. Even when Im driving side by side next to cops, I dont even try to keep it quiet or anything either. Around here all the imports are the ones getting busted for exhaust. lol
I've never been pulled over specifically for exhaust, but I was driving down a major street next to some other car going exactly the speed limit (I was making an effort to not exceed it) and I got pulled over by a cop who said "I saw you next to that black car and I said, "damn, those guys are hauling ***!" so I assumed the cop really meant to say that my car caught his attention because it was sounding like it was going faster than the speed limit. I got sick of the unwanted attention, in other words. My car was retarded loud at that time though, thanks to an already loud exhaust and a leak. it was also just after 2am, so all those factors combined for a BS pull over by that cop.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:40 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

I've gotten a lot of BS from cops, sometimes when I'm sitting in my car with the engine off... fair enough.

But you'll be happy with o/r H and flowmaster catback (I have the weld ins which sound slike the catback) and it is deep, loud with WOT but then when you cruise it's pretty quiet. Not too much drone tho.

Speaking of drone..... I have a question.... on some crown victorias and lincolns, they have rubber weights welded to the exhaust up front, I presume in an effort to reduce the drone.

Would it be beneficial in a noise sense to add something like these to a current setup to reduce drone?
Old 11-20-2006, 09:48 PM
Azure
2nd Gear Member

I'm not worried much about cops, I'm right on the rim of Redneck Central here in southwestern Ohio. Most of the cops around here have a big loud truck themselves. I've never been pulled over to date (there are lots and lots of fun back roads here!)

Thanks for the advice everyone - and keep it coming. Flowmasters are still definitely out - the drone rumors put me off, plus my buddy already has Flows on his 02 GT vert. I can't be following his footsteps! Looks like MAC or Magnaflow, probably the Flows if I can really find jeffjohn's price. No way I can afford Borlas - not that I wouldn't LOVE to have them.

Quick Reply: Help me find the right catback!