4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

NEED INPUT QUICKLY on CLUTCH T/O BEARING

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 10:11 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Default NEED INPUT QUICKLY on CLUTCH T/O BEARING

I just visited my mechanic who took out the tranny and T/O bearing and the bearing doesn't spin in the center, it is off center. Check the pics. IS IT SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE THIS? my mechanic said it shouldn't be. I talked to the rep at the clutch manufacturer and he said that the t/o bearing is self adjusting. Anyone every hear of this? Thanks guys!

[IMG]local://upfiles/41701/7FA73D98A62048BC9801FAB576F6B386.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-20-2006, 10:19 PM
Clutch_2000GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: NEED INPUT QUICKLY on CLUTCH T/O BEARING

you cant really tell if its off center unless you line it up with the teeth on the flywheel, when its off center it will make a very annoying squeek/grinding sort of sound. what happens is the teeth get grounded down and cause the bearing to spin off center. Basically you need a new clutch. what year is your stang?
Old 11-20-2006, 10:25 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

2003, its a clutch that was installed in June or July, brand new everything. It started with a squeaking/squealing, went to a kind of chatter, and now is a crazy vibration that has the fork vibrating sideways. it broke the shield off, thats how bad it was. Also, the automatic adjustment mechanism that was stock kept readjusting real loose, real tight, loose tight, high release, low release. So i bought the steeda adjustment kit. That didnt fix it.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:29 PM
Clutch_2000GT
2nd Gear Member

if its that new then idk. You did have the flywheel replaced along with the clutch disc right? is it a performance clutch?
Old 11-20-2006, 10:34 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Yes to both. I guess i'll have to have him take out the pressure plate and clutch disk too.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:37 PM
Clutch_2000GT
2nd Gear Member

actually I just had the king cobra clutch put in about a month ago and occasionally my throw-out bearing will make that noise too. I'd love to know whats causing it, let me know if you can, what you find out.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:21 AM
tstang2000
1st Gear Member

+1. I have been having the same problem. Just got it put in a month ago and its doing everything discribed. So its just the throw out bearing?? I have the clutch adjuster and thats not doing anything.I have tryed all of the adjustments on it and none are working. Will it hurt the clutch or tranny if the throw out bearing is no good and i still drive with it like that? At idle it makes a squeaking/ shaking side to side very slightly. When i really notice is when im up in 3rd or 4th gear at like 5000rpms it sounds almost like a gear grinding like its not fully engadged or something even though it is. Other then that its fine normal driving. I just dont want it getting any worse. Where could i pick up a throw out bearing for my clutch?? I have a king cobra clutch also
Old 11-21-2006, 03:27 AM
St4ng07
4th Gear Member

My tob went bad because the self-adjuster broke(clutch-new, tob=new, and flywheel was resurfaced at 4k miles prior to adjuster breaking) . So then got the tob replaced and firewall adjuster. Started squeaking again, but all it needs is some adjustment and it will be fine.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:40 AM
TonySTiX
1st Gear Member

I replaced TOB and clutch in August, and of course, the TOB is singing again...Dunno wtf to do at this point.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:34 AM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

If it was just squeaking i wouldn't mind so much, but the fork is vibrating side to side, so violently at some point it broke off the fork shield. The company told me that the t/o bearing is self adjusting. I've never heard of a self adjusting t/o bearing. I feel like i am beng fed a truckload of $#!T from them and that it is going to be forever before they finally say, yeah, we screwed up. So i have been trying to find info on it and can't yet. If any of you do please let me know. Also, if i end up getting dicked over, what clutch chould i get for my 3650? thanks.

Quick Reply: NEED INPUT QUICKLY on CLUTCH T/O BEARING