4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Short Throw Shifters MGW VS STEEDA TRIAX (UPDATED)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 12:00 AM
golferjoe11
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Short Throw Shifters MGW VS STEEDA TRIAX

I switched from a Tri-ax to the MGW. The MGW is not shorter in throw but shorter in height. The spring is ALOT stronger though, and that makes 2-3 and 4-5 shifts better. I also went from the liquid seal to a gasket. The gasket is a lot queiter so i recomend it. Basically the MGW is better but I could have gotten by with the Tri-ax.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:24 AM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

I have had both shifters. I really think the MGW is a better shifter than the triax. It is quiter and just has a lot better feel. I really like how firm and positve the shifts are. I cannot be any happier with my MGW!
Old 11-22-2006, 01:35 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

MGW ftw!!! You won't be sorry. I have never seen anything neg posted about them.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:57 AM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

ive had both..i actually just installed my mgw like 2 days ago. im still breaking it in. but wow it made a big difference,smoother and abit quieter than the tri-ax
Old 11-22-2006, 02:02 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

I had a MGW in my 04' GT and a TriAx in my 03' Cobra.... MGW hands down...

FYI: The MGW isn't as short as the triax physically, but the throw itself is. It's also just a better all around shift, and the rotating handle makes it worlds above the rest.

The MGW has the shortest THROW of all the shifters... the height of the shifter is playing tricks... kinda like a butt dyno.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:08 AM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

i had a fidanza shifter that shifted shorter, but it sucked. the mgw is by far the best shifter out there
Old 11-22-2006, 12:14 PM
d3mon
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

I had a MGW in my 04' GT and a TriAx in my 03' Cobra.... MGW hands down...

FYI: The MGW isn't as short as the triax physically, but the throw itself is. It's also just a better all around shift, and the rotating handle makes it worlds above the rest.

The MGW has the shortest THROW of all the shifters... the height of the shifter is playing tricks... kinda like a butt dyno.
true that, i CAN FEEL THE DIDFFERENCE WHEN I DRIVE IS AWESOME
Old 11-22-2006, 12:49 PM
Triisomy21
4th Gear Member

It could just be my imagination but my mgw is kinda clunky at times. I thought it would go away once it got broken in a bit. Maybe I just got a defective one.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:04 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: golferjoe11

I switched from a Tri-ax to the MGW. The MGW is not shorter in throw but shorter in height. The spring is ALOT stronger though, and that makes 2-3 and 4-5 shifts better. I also went from the liquid seal to a gasket. The gasket is a lot queiter so i recomend it. Basically the MGW is better but I could have gotten by with the Tri-ax.
The MGW spring is absolutely NOT stronger than the Tri-Ax. That's what makes it smoother. The Tri-Ax springs are much stronger making the 2-3 shift all but impossible to miss. The MGW has strong centering springs as well, and the shift would still be hard to miss, but it's not as strong as the Tri-Ax. The Tri-Ax is a bit too strong though, which is what gives it the notchy feeling. It likes to hold in neutral a bit harder than most people like while going from one gear to another. I have used both and I prefer the MGW, but they are both great shifters.

Also, not to steal your thread or sales (hope you don't mind since it's for a different transmission), but I also have a Tri-Ax for sale, only a few hundred miles on it, perfect condition, for a T-5/T-45. PM me if you're interested. It'll probably go up on eBay soon if no one here wants one.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:27 PM
d3mon
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AJ97GT

ORIGINAL: golferjoe11

The MGW spring is absolutely NOT stronger than the Tri-Ax. That's what makes it smoother. The Tri-Ax springs are much stronger making the 2-3 shift all but impossible to miss. The MGW has strong centering springs as well, and the shift would still be hard to miss, but it's not as strong as the Tri-Ax. The Tri-Ax is a bit too strong though, which is what gives it the notchy feeling. It likes to hold in neutral a bit harder than most people like while going from one gear to another. I have used both and I prefer the MGW, but they are both great shifters.

Also, not to steal your thread or sales (hope you don't mind since it's for a different transmission), but I also have a Tri-Ax for sale, only a few hundred miles on it, perfect condition, for a T-5/T-45. PM me if you're interested. It'll probably go up on eBay soon if no one here wants one.

LOL don't worry i posted mine in the parts for sale but nobody goes there so it probably will end on ebay anyway ha ha