MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   My first GT! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/20928-my-first-gt.html)

nanaki 08-24-2004 10:15 AM

My first GT!

Just bought a 2004 GT. Was going to get the v6 cause I thought insurance would be less, turns out insurance on the v6 was 1800/year as oppose to the GT's 1600/year. Even the insurance agent tripple checked it.

Anyway, it's fun as all hell to drive. I owned a 98 v6 before this one. I just want to know what kind of parts I should buy for it. I want to get some extra juice out of it without possibly voiding my warranty or spending a lot. I'm sure I'll eventually end up not caring about a warranty and throw in an SC. Not right now though. I must baby her and buy her new clothes. :)

rtm 08-24-2004 11:26 AM

RE: My first GT!

Welcome to the boards and congrat's on your new ride. You have come to the right place to learn about your car. There are a lot of knowledgeable people that reside here, and can help with just about anything concerning Mustangs.

I would suggest changing out your exhaust as I don't believe that could affect your warranty. Plus you need some sound that matches your ride.

Todd

nanaki 08-24-2004 12:16 PM

hehe. i like this place already. yeah, i really want that louder cough and a friend told me the exhaust is ok to change. i just want to know what all else i can change out. the dealership i bought it from was no help even when i asked about the exhaust.

how much would a decent but somewhat cheap exhaust system run me. including installation of course.

going to get my windows tinted too. usually i hate that sort of thing, but i saw a mustang exactly like mine. it was sonic blue with tinted windows. the tint made it look so much nicer. i felt so inadequate.

rtm 08-24-2004 12:57 PM

You can find a good quality catback exhaust for around $300. Now as for which one, I'm not going to open that can of worms. Go to Mustang Exhaust .com to listen to some different set-ups.

Some names include Magnaflow and Flowmaster.

As far as installation goes, you could do it yourself in a couple of hours. It's really not that hard.

Todd

jdaniel 08-24-2004 01:22 PM

You can pretty much do anything to the car except tear into the internals. BUT if you do something like change the rear end and it goes out on you... dont expect the warranty to cover it. LOL Just a little common sense there. LOL

911ss 08-25-2004 02:30 AM

man,my insurance is 1800 every 6 months, i have had only 1 ticket like 2 years ago.

sublim5450 08-25-2004 08:51 AM

ORIGINAL: 911ss

man,my insurance is 1800 every 6 months, i have had only 1 ticket like 2 years ago.
Thats sucks I live in new jersey and I only pay 2100 for 2 cars.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8363/FFD0F8CABCB34231899F0A856B580D83.jpg[/IMG]

Duffs302 08-25-2004 04:01 PM

ORIGINAL: 911ss

After 3 years it drops off your insurance and it will go down.
I pay $1,450. every 6 months was $2k

beezy 08-25-2004 04:20 PM

My Ford dealer wouldn't let me do a CAI or exhaust, I think he said I could do a body kit or visual things but nothing to do with performance. But another dealer about 30 mins away lets people do exhaust without vioding

I am 23 and My insurance is about $2500 for 6 months. I totalled my Cavalier before i bought my mustang and i have 2 speeding tickets on my liscense =(

mdvaldosta 08-25-2004 04:34 PM

There is a law that if the dealer voids the warranty for installing non-manufacturer (as in aftermarket anything) parts then they must be able to PROVE that the part you changed was the direct cause of a likely cause of damage. As in, installing a CAI or exhaust should not affect anything, changing the rear gears would void the rear end warranty, installing a camshaft would void the top end engine warranty, increasing power by a dramatic amount would void the entire drivetrain warranty. You have to know your rights to defend your rights. A dealer is gonna do anything they can to keep from paying for a warranty.