4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Convertible top & parking brake relay modification...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 03:43 AM
rmedco

Default Convertible top & parking brake relay modification...

I have an 03 GT convertible. I would like to be able to put the top up and down with the parking brake down (off) -- for example, when I am in traffic or pulling out of my garage / driveway.

Any suggestions as to where the parking brake relay for the convertible top is and how it can be jumped-out to operate with the brake off?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:59 AM
Maverick04GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Convertible top & parking brake relay modification...

There's an easy way around this...in case you haven't noticed, the emergency brake doesn't have to be fully engaged to allow you to put the top up or down, just pulled enough for the light to come on in the dash. So, if you pull it up only 1 notch or so, just enough to trip the relay, but not engage the actual brakes, you can put the top up and down while rolling. I wouldn't recommend doing this at speeds over 20 or so, though, I think that's about the fastest I've ever done it.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:03 AM
akelemecz
I ♥ Acer

Honestly .. it only takes 20 seconds to put the top up or down .. if you can't stand to sit there in traffic for that long then you just need to get over it .. you bought a convertible it comes with the territory .. but seriously man ... its not that hard to just pull over !!!

From one vert owner to another
Old 11-23-2006, 12:27 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

FYI. it wont let you put it down so you don't ruin your Top frame. If you put your top down while you are moving you create a sail and your top is catching all the wind from you moving and could bend the frame of the top all out of whack. I can't believe the guy up there told you it was OK to put it down going 20 MPH.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:53 PM
hot wheels
4th Gear Member

20 seconds?! how old is your stang? try around 6 sec.
ORIGINAL: akelemecz

Honestly .. it only takes 20 seconds to put the top up or down .. if you can't stand to sit there in traffic for that long then you just need to get over it .. you bought a convertible it comes with the territory .. but seriously man ... its not that hard to just pull over !!!

From one vert owner to another
Old 11-23-2006, 01:52 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

he was saying 20 seconds all together. haha and time yourself - you cant put on the brake - put up tje top and lock it in 6 seconds
Old 11-23-2006, 03:12 PM
akelemecz
I ♥ Acer

Yeah dumb f u c k .. I'm talking about the time it takes to pull over .. yank the e brake .. unlock the tabs put it back and dis-engage the e-break and go ..

I really have to say .. you win the ignorant **** for brains trophey of the month !!!!

Point B .. I'm not the dumbass trying to put my top up and down while driving .. so suck on em for a second will you punk !?
Old 11-23-2006, 05:06 PM
Maverick04GT
2nd Gear Member

Well then, I guess experience isn't enough justification....in case you didn't notice, I DO own a 'vert, and I've done it at speeds up to 20 or so. I figured the frame had to be created with winds up to a certain strength while putting it up or down in mind, so it should've been designed with these kinds of tolerances in mind. Forgive me for thinking it through a little bit, though.

ORIGINAL: BraMas

FYI. it wont let you put it down so you don't ruin your Top frame. If you put your top down while you are moving you create a sail and your top is catching all the wind from you moving and could bend the frame of the top all out of whack. I can't believe the guy up there told you it was OK to put it down going 20 MPH.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:44 PM
beastzilla02
5th Gear Member

lol god stfu guys...point is it takes like a min max to pull over and put the top down im sure u can fit that 1 minute in ur precious time.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:15 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

all i do is pop the latch and press the button. i dont even bother with putting it back...its real quick. its really no point to do it while coming out your driveway...just eat a fruit snack or something while its going down. Mine takes like 10 seconds max.

Quick Reply: Convertible top & parking brake relay modification...