4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

1st gear tips/tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 07:17 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 1st gear tips/tricks?

So I see now.. You're not talking about wheel hop, you're talking about stalling the car out..

RPM's are the best way to learn how to drive your car. I've mentioned it before, that 90% of the time, your car doesn't care what speed you're at, more what RPM your engine's at, or RPM your wheels are at.. Speed is just relative..

Best thing to do, which has been sort of covered, but is to find the "sweet spot." That's the spot where the clutch meets flywheel, and movement is made..

A) Get to a flat, quiet area, free of obstructions for at least a 1/4 mile. I'm not saying race the car, just use the space wisely..
B) Turn off all accessories, and roll down both windows.
C) Put car in 1st or Reverse, and keep clutch pedal down.
D) Slowly begin pulling your foot off the clutch pedal, and Factually, it should be almost all the way off the floor, you can see the RPM's dip, feel the car tug forward, ever so slightly, and you'll hear the engine idle die down a bit..

Congratulations, you've just found the sweet spot. Now keep practicing finding it, since that is the most Holiest of places in your drivetrain.. Now, it's time to practice it's practical use..

A) Get yourself to that same flat spot you had before, making sure there isn't ANYTHING around that can hurt you, your car, or anyone else.
B) Bring a friend, who can give you signals of when to launch, and when to just "stage."
C) Get your car to one end of the flatness, making sure the engine is warm.
D) Bring your clutch pedal up to a little bit before the "Sweet Spot," and make sure your car doesn't move.
E) Begin free revving the car, up to a specific RPM.
F) When your friend and you are ready, watch their hands, and have them make a motion, as if they're the Green light..
G) Feel how the car reacts, as you free rev the car, and take your foot off the clutch.. It should be a smooth, seamless motion..

Practice that until you can just pull up to a stop, stage your car, and launch..

Lather, rinse, repeat..

JT
Old 11-23-2006, 07:20 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: djb1187

The best tip and trick=practice.
This was my first stick shift car and i stalled a couple time when i first got it but i just drove around the neighborhood for a while till i got it perfect. dont think about it and just do it

+1 - just experience, you'll get better
Old 11-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mvr

this is what i do. idle is at what 800, so i rev it up to about 1k-1.2k and hold it there and let the clutch out unit it starts to grab. then i try to keep it around 1k-1.2k as i let the clutch out gently. once its fully in first i then ad gas as needed. if you start to feel it bogging/jerking you can always push in the clutch and try again. now i do this like second nature since i have been driving stick for almost three years now. one thing ive noticed about the stang is its a little more touchy feely than other cars so if you dont do it just right there will be some jerking and a overall not smooth ride, which could be uncomfortable for your passenger. now for the 1-2 normal shift i give about 1/4 throttle and once it gets to like 2k-2.3k i put it in second and usualy make sure its in second then let the clutch out. if and when i let other people drive my car usualy they grind second even when the car is warmed up.

just keep practicing and you'll get it in notime.
Good stuff MVP! This is the best description I've read on doing it. You want to be under some power anytime you come off the clutch. I even tried this while downshifting (if I'm coming to a stop) and it made it alot smoother. One bad habit I was doing, especially in 1-2 shift, was letting off the gas completely then trying to get into 2nd gear., it helps ALOT if you are giving it a tiny bit of gas.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:05 PM
dakota5021

i usually dont have problem whith wheel hop or traction and i rev up to 3500 and pop the clutch and floor it and my car shirps and goes. but now i have to get use to the car all over again cause im going form 3.27 gears in the rear to 4.10s. i should have my car done tomorrow night. goin out for a nice saturday drive to break the new rear in and then sunday its off to the track.