4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

SELF-PROCLAIMED 96 4.6L EXPERTS ONLY PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 01:50 AM
!!!96MustangGT!!!

Default RE: SELF-PROCLAIMED 96 4.6L EXPERTS ONLY PLEASE

I don't know dude? I hot post reply....there is no need for the wtf...This is the same thread...not a new post.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:51 AM
Firebb15

My 96 gt burns around 1-2 quarts between oil changes with 175K on it. It runs real strong still with good compression so i always thought it was bad valve seals because i have seen a lot of older crown vics/mustangs with the 4.6 that blow some blue smoke at stop lights. Mine blows some smoke if i let it idle for more than a few min. with a warm engine. Does this sound right?
Old 11-25-2006, 02:01 AM
!!!96MustangGT!!!

Well no not exactly...it does not blow smoke at all...and it doesn't leak...well there is no puddle in the driveway...I'm a rookie when it comes to stangs...so I'm just not sure what the **** is going on. It is drak so I cannot see if it is blowin it back on the under carriage till sunrise! But there is still no puddle or smoke...I let it sit for 2 weeks while Imwas in Florida and started it up and made sure to check...no smoke so I dunno!
Old 11-25-2006, 02:06 AM
bleau
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: !!!96MustangGT!!!

Well no not exactly...it does not blow smoke at all...and it doesn't leak...well there is no puddle in the driveway...I'm a rookie when it comes to stangs...so I'm just not sure what the **** is going on. It is drak so I cannot see if it is blowin it back on the under carriage till sunrise! But there is still no puddle or smoke...I let it sit for 2 weeks while Imwas in Florida and started it up and made sure to check...no smoke so I dunno!
You should look like James Bond going down the road losing that much oil.
Thats kinda crazy no smoke and no leak.
Droptoponey has the best advice.
Low milage pi motor
Old 11-25-2006, 02:11 AM
!!!96MustangGT!!!

HAHAHAHAHAH James Bond, that is funny sh*t! Now but for real...no smoke, no puddle at the stable...I have no reason to mislead ya guys...I want to know what I am facing. Should I do a swap fpr a 99+Cobra or....suggestions????????????
Old 11-25-2006, 02:35 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: !!!96MustangGT!!!

Well I last night after I got off of here we ran down to the store and the dam oil light came on again....once again a qt low...The car had 96k on it but I have only put 3,300K on it in the 5 weeks I have owned it. It still runs awesome...compared to my '89 Lincoln Mark VII lol. I run it hard most of the time[sm=badbadbad.gif] so...? The first thing I will do is run some tests on it but my plan for the winter is to either swap or rebuild. Now I'm under the understanding that my motor compared to the 99+ is less than desirable. I assume they have kits for the swap. An elderly gentleman let me drive his well built 01 Cobra. I love it but I like the styling on my Stang much better. I want the Cobra motor! Can I do heads or upper/lower intake....what would be the best....maybe least expensive Cobra upgrade hahaha. My budget isn't the largest but would like to know what would be the best route to take the beast?
The only way to tell what is wrong and why you are losing oil is to do a compression check. It will only take an hour and is very easy. If you find a cyl with lower compression then the others put some oil in the cyl. If the compression goes back up then you have blow by and time for a new engine. If you still have low compression then It could be valve seals, bad seats,or bad guides. If you have 2 cyl next to each other with low compression then its the head gasket. You can do a leak test on that cyl. With valves closed if you hear air coming out of the PCV system then its time for a new shortblock if you hear it coming out of the TB then time for some head work.

To put a cobra motor in your car is going to be alot of work and money. Its not just the heads and intake swap its also computer, harness, instrutment cluster, timing cover and PATs system. Not to mention all of the little odds and ends crap you will need.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:02 PM
nismotunedgtr
2nd Gear Member

YEah, instead of doing a Cobra swap buy a Cobra.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:05 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

you're valve seals are gone. That's how my car is. I got 10/40 oil in it now slowin it down, my seals are so bad I leave plumes of blue everywhere but with the heavier oil it slows it down a bit.

Fuggin valve seals

And there will always be some small amount of blowby, it's the nature of piston rings having end gaps