4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Bilstein vs Bulit suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 03:39 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Default Bilstein vs Bulit suspension

My car sits low in the back end. It is a 97 mustang GT. When I push the rear end down, it goes down and comes up a little. Like it doesn't have the "umph" it needs to get back up. I assume it is time to replace the struts and springs. I dont know which go in the front, shocks or struts, but I am planning on buying the Bilstein pacakge on stangsuspension.com.

I was wondering how this will effect my handling. I rode in my buddy's Mach 1 and his car handled corners like 2000 lb. import. I mean, no body roll at all! It was like the car was stuck to the road. Will that happen with package? How will this brand hold up with AWFUL roads in northern VA and Washington DC? Any input on this subject would be great.

Thanks
Old 11-24-2006, 06:28 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Bilstein suspension

springs shouldnt really go bad - I mean they can - but the shocks and struts will make it ride like a caddy!
Old 11-24-2006, 06:36 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

Wow if your 97 still has stock struts and shocks its definately time to change. Billstein are some of the best you can buy and i definately suggest them if you can afford them. Add some H&R springs and your car will feel like a new animal. I went with Tokico shocks/struts and steeda springs and the before and after is just amazing.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:37 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Sagged springs happen all the time. Most of the time theyre caught before they get to sagging really bad, they tend to break before they sag. At any rate, depending on which Bilstein setup youre going with it should be like 100000000000% better than factory. I like Koni's better personally but Bilstein is a very reputable company.
-P.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:10 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Are there any other suspension setups that will do what I need it to do without spending $800? I want to eliminate body roll and have that "stuck to the road" feeling to my car. I have many other things I'd like to do to it, so if I can do this job for less, please let me know.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:35 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: trickdriller

Are there any other suspension setups that will do what I need it to do without spending $800? I want to eliminate body roll and have that "stuck to the road" feeling to my car. I have many other things I'd like to do to it, so if I can do this job for less, please let me know.
Bullit kit

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr...roducts_id=458
Old 11-24-2006, 10:34 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

ford racing stage 3 kit - 750 on ebay - comes with everything
Old 11-24-2006, 11:14 PM
LX90
2nd Gear Member

For shocks and struts, I like Strange 10-way adjustables, but they can be pricey. Springs I like H&R or Eibach sportline. And struts go in the front
Old 11-25-2006, 03:07 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: droptoppony

Bullit kit

Will that work? I mean, I'm a firm believer of you get what you pay for and that price seems awfuly low. What kind of improvements will I see if I get the Bulit kit? Will they hold up with the terrible roads of this place for longer than a year?
Old 11-25-2006, 04:41 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: droptoppony

Bullit kit

Will that work? I mean, I'm a firm believer of you get what you pay for and that price seems awfuly low. What kind of improvements will I see if I get the Bulit kit? Will they hold up with the terrible roads of this place for longer than a year?
Yeah its the same suspension on the Bullit...Basically Ford C springs with Tokico struts/shocks and Ford sway bars...
It is a moddest drop..alittle over an inch and will firm up the ride and improve handleing. Great kit for the price.

Quick Reply: Bilstein vs Bulit suspension