4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What do I give up bu buying a convertible?

Old 11-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Default What do I give up bu buying a convertible?

I'm thinking of selling my 98 GT 5 speed hard top and picking up a 99 - 2001 GT vert.

I know the vert is heavier and maybe the handling will be worse that the GT but I have never driven a GT vert.

To those of you who have owned or driven both cars - How different are these cars in actual driving ? Will I really be giving up noticeable performance and handling ?

Thanks.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:35 PM
rvoss5
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What do I give up bu buying a convertible?

u won't notice TOO much unless your planning on putting down some major hp. the structure of the convertables isn't as solid. im' sure there are things u can do to cure this though.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:55 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

You give up weight, and suspension.

EDIT: sorry you already knew that... You wont feel much of a difference persay. You'll notice the pickup will be a little bit less (if you want to simulate this put 300lbs in your backseat and drive around. Unless, you like taking curves fast, you wont notice the suspension either. There is normally more body flex, so i've heard.

REEDIT- you'll also lose the fold down backseats.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

When I had my 88 LX 5.00 my cousin bought a GT vert. I drove it and imediately noticed the flexing.

I know newer stangs are more rigid but don't know if they have conqured the vert body flex (?)

The convertible would be 99 and up so it would have the extra 30HP that went with the heads used after 98
Old 11-25-2006, 04:15 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

you'll notice the 300lbs extra more then the 30hp
Old 11-25-2006, 04:35 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

About the only difference is that you will have to replace the top every 6-8 years. The verts have sub frame connectors to help solidify it some. The weight isn't that much more, closer to 150lbs over a coupe on the late model mustangs. I used my vert for a daily driver for 5 years and never had any complaints. The interior liner is good so it helps retain heat/ac... and on those spring/summer nights when you put the top down and cruise it just doesn't get any better. Oh and girls love verts [8D]
Old 11-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Before I bought the 98 coupe I was on the market for a Mazda miata but was not pleased with the power.
Bought the coupe cause the price was right but I really want to go topless
Old 11-25-2006, 05:03 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

i owned a coupe and now i own a vert....i would never go back to the coupe unless i get a cobra or i want to build a seriously high horsepower car. My vert handles better than the coupe i use to have for some strange reason
Old 11-25-2006, 05:50 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

There ain't no substitute for top down driving on those nice days/nights! Verts weigh about 150lbs more than coups, & part of that extra weight is because of the added subframe connectors so, I don't think there is any handling penalty. However I haven't driven a NuEdge coupe to really say any comparisons.

I drive mine all year too, and we get serious winters in Ontario Canada. So far the vert hasn't been any more of a pain in the *** than a coupe woulda been (ie, driving a high power rwd car on ice lol)
Old 11-25-2006, 05:57 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Grey - I know that when I drove a stock gt convert. it didnt handle as well as mine did - but maybe i was a lil bias perhaps? dunno.. I know the Cobra ones are much worse as all cobras have the crap SFC stock, lol... I know in COBRAS, lol - the first suspension mod they say is to upgrade to the coupe springs, lol - dunno why but it is... You have your top too, that is also a good point... If you can make the switch it's nothing that you can't really fix. I am debating for my DD convertible or not, i just dunno if its worth it where i live to pay the extra $ and insurance, seeing how it rains a ton here, lol... (in fla)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What do I give up bu buying a convertible?