4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Had a close call tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 02:14 AM
kcp1989
3rd Gear Member

Default Had a close call tonight.

Well on the way home, this old women in a toyota avalon was doing about 20 in a 35 and I felt like giving her a wake up call. I pulled behind her at a stop sign and figured Id pass her once we had both gone left. Well as soon as I straightened out, I stomped first, passed her then shift second pretty hard. All I can say is I have never broken the tires lose like that is second. The back end started to go around so I corrected with my foot to the floor still (bad idea) over corrected about 3 more times before getting it under control. I could barely keep it on the road but I did thankfully because the road was lined with trees.
All I could think about was how my uncle was telling me a year ago when I got my car that it will get away from you when you least expect it. This is coming from a true hotrodder from back in the day. He had a 12 sec car in the 60s ya. Well I thought I knew every little charecteristic of my car until tonight. I thought id just share this.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:17 AM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Had a close call tonight.

Good deal

Happens.... to everyone some time or another ive done that on a turn which ive done a thousand times, but i did go in the ditch 1 time...everything good though no traffic
Old 11-26-2006, 02:18 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

well, atleast your learned how to control a car that has become out of control.... your uncle is right, the minute you dont expect it, is when it happens. The moment you forget how powerful a car is, it'll remind you.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:04 AM
kcp1989
3rd Gear Member

amen to that
Old 11-26-2006, 03:12 AM
beastzilla02
5th Gear Member

yup.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:16 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Have a tire blow out at 100+.. now that is alot of fun.

You probably hit a bad patch of street when you shifted into second. I know the patch of road by my fathers shop is super slick. I dunno whats up with it, but I can spin the tires all the way thru 3rd gear with only partial throttle on that strip of road
Old 11-26-2006, 03:19 AM
tehzack
2nd Gear Member

So you prove a point to a person thats driving like an ******* by driving like an even bigger *******?
Old 11-26-2006, 08:49 AM
ripper
3rd Gear Member

I did the same thing at the track. Got loose hitting 3rd (not sure how fast i was going) Car started left wheels spinnin. A million things were goin threw my mind lol. Trying to remember what the seasoned racers told me to do if this happens. Lock em up? Turn into it? Turn out of it? Then i remembered. Guy told me let off gas shift to next gear and punch it so thats what i did. Well tires grabbed for a sec then off to the right i went and back to the left lmao. I stayed in her though and finally after the line it straightened out. Scared the livin crap outa me to say the least. When i came around and got back to the pits the guy i was racin came over. (he looked worse then me lol) he said "Dude! How the f*** did you keep that thing on the track? Thats the first time i ever beat someone and was lookin at there tailights." LMAO.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:28 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

Sounds like you had a very close one, stay safe and be careful. I actually had the same thing happen to me the other day, I punched it to get in front of a car, because traffic was backed up and I was behind a dump truck, well needless to say I was going about 5mph, and punched it to get over before a car came, and bam, got sideways like a ****, it was fun and pretty easy to counter steer, but you never know.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:13 AM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

At least you alright, except excessive blood flow to your heart. lol I did something like that last Sunday in fact. I was driving in traffic(which I friggin hate, just pull over, let me pass, then get back on the road) downshifted right before a bridge from 4th-3rd at about 50mph and that bi*tch spun and started breaking loose sideways(slightly) which supposed the hell out of me, but I kept it straight and still punched it hitting 110 before the bridge(which was less than a 1/2mile) lol. Hell might have been even less than that, but anywho. Gotta watch that stuff, could get you or someone else injured or even dead. As much as we like to play with the cars, or as much as we get pissy in traffic, it's not worth it. I'm trying to get better and clam down, but damn, lol.

Quick Reply: Had a close call tonight.