4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Revmatching/downshifting tips/tricks....

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Default Revmatching/downshifting tips/tricks....

I'm finally getting used to upshifting on the car. For normal driving ride the clutch a little and give it gas. For more spirited aggressive driving, only give gas at the top of clutch movement (friction point). For downshifting though it's a little different. Sometimes I will downshift into like 3rd gear going 60mph and the car will slam forward a bit, almost violently. Now I know it's because I'm going at a lower gear at higher speeds, but how will I rev match to make this smoother? Do I just give it a little gas right as I let off the clutch after I downshift? Any tips/tricks for doing this? Thanks!
Old 11-26-2006, 05:24 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Revmatching/downshifting tips/tricks....

It's called heel and toeing(sp?). It's the fine and difficult art of braking and applying throttle with your right foot simultaneousl, while letting out the clutch. Rev matching ain't easy stuff, but once you've got it you'll kooky fast outta corners. It's also dangerous to the car and to you. Very easy to lose control and even easier to redline the engine or demolish various drivetrain parts.

Sometimes I will downshift into like 3rd gear going 60mph and the car will slam forward a bit, almost violently.
Don't do that. Apply brake and slowly let out the clutch. Popped clutch = damage to car or possibly your ***.

This is cool stuff to learn and master, but please: BE SAFE!
Old 11-26-2006, 05:37 PM
uofipilot
3rd Gear Member

Basically you need to have the engine running at the same revs as the trans and rest of the drive line. If you're going 60 in 5th and then shift to 3rd, the trans and drive line is running at 60. If you then shift to third, you need to get the engine rpms up to what they would be if your going 60 in third. If you hold 60 in third at say 3k rpm, then when you shift from 5th to 3rd at 60, you need to put the clutch in, give it gas to get the engine up to about 3k rpm, then let the clutch out (not excessively slow, but don't just pop it out either. You'll start to get the feel for it, just like up shifting). If you don't get the engine revs up, you be putting it in third when the trans and drive line are moving as if you're still going 60 and the engine will be at idle. Letting the clutch out at this point will cause you to jerk froward as the drive line (clutch) brings the engine up to speed. Not good for the trans/clutch/engine.....basically don't do that. You do need to match the revs. If you want to go really fast, then just floor it and let the clutch out (don't mis-shift and put it in first though [:@]. Its all practice. I just started diving manual about 7 months ago, and I'm still getting th feel for down shifting.[&:]

Matt
Old 11-26-2006, 05:38 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

heel and toe in a mustang? good luck, it's almost as if Ford tried to make it as hard as possible for us to heel and toe in these cars, the pedal placement is horrible
Old 11-26-2006, 05:38 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BAD FN GT

It's called heel and toeing(sp?). It's the fine and difficult art of braking and applying throttle with your right foot simultaneousl, while letting out the clutch. Rev matching ain't easy stuff, but once you've got it you'll kooky fast outta corners. It's also dangerous to the car and to you. Very easy to lose control and even easier to redline the engine or demolish various drivetrain parts.

Sometimes I will downshift into like 3rd gear going 60mph and the car will slam forward a bit, almost violently.
Don't do that. Apply brake and slowly let out the clutch. Popped clutch = damage to car or possibly your ***.

Wait though, why would I apply the brakes if I am trying to downshift and accelerate to go faster? Or is that something else.

Yeah about the popped clutch thing, I am trying to learn to give it gas BEFORE and WHILE I let off the clutch so it's a smoother transition. Definately not easy to do, but I'm slowly learning.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:41 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: uofipilot

Basically you need to have the engine running at the same revs as the trans and rest of the drive line. If you're going 60 in 5th and then shift to 3rd, the trans and drive line is running at 60. If you then shift to third, you need to get the engine rpms up to what they would be if your going 60 in third. If you hold 60 in third at say 3k rpm, then when you shift from 5th to 3rd at 60, you need to put the clutch in, give it gas to get the engine up to about 3k rpm, then let the clutch out (not excessively slow, but don't just pop it out either. You'll start to get the feel for it, just like up shifting). If you don't get the engine revs up, you be putting it in third when the trans and drive line are moving as if you're still going 60 and the engine will be at idle. Letting the clutch out at this point will cause you to jerk froward as the drive line (clutch) brings the engine up to speed. Not good for the trans/clutch/engine.....basically don't do that. You do need to match the revs. If you want to go really fast, then just floor it and let the clutch out (don't mis-shift and put it in first though [:@]. Its all practice. I just started diving manual about 7 months ago, and I'm still getting th feel for down shifting.[&:]

Matt
I like that idea man., give it ALOT of gas before I release the clutch and then once it's released the revs will be somewhat caught up w/ the gear that I'm going into. Makes total sense. Hehe, yeah I did the "rev slamming" alot this weekend, but it's a good thing I know it's bad now. I guess I will keep having to experiment until I get it. 7 months huh? Looks like i got a ways to go.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

well if you're talking about downshifting to accelerate, all you have to do is blip the revs up to where they would be in the gear you're about to drop to, so clutch in, downshift and blip simultaneously, clutch out and go.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:55 PM
weasel1088
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BAD FN GT

What does heel toe driving have anything to do with being on the highway and downshifting?

ORIGINAL: Brute03

heel and toe in a mustang? good luck, it's almost as if Ford tried to make it as hard as possible for us to heel and toe in these cars, the pedal placement is horrible

there is actually a really easy mod you can do to raise up the gas pedal so its even with the brake and clutch let me find a link here....

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/99pedals.htm

enjoy
Old 11-26-2006, 06:02 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Wait though, why would I apply the brakes if I am trying to downshift and accelerate to go faster? Or is that something else.
Yeah, that's to bring the engine speed up to tranny speed. There are a few common ways for acceleration:

1. Granny shifting: First let off the gas, push in the clutch, shift and bring up the revs as you let out the clutch. This is the smootest way, and once mastered, a good combo of speed and preservation of your car and your ***.

2. Power shifting: This is slightly or not at all letting off the throttle as you shift so the engine stays at or above tranny speed. Creates a surge of acceleration forward, fried drivetrain parts and a satisfying "scratch" at the rear wheels in 2nd and (if the car if powerful enough) higher gears. I only do this when I really, really, really, really want to win or look cool. Don't do it unless you're pointed in a straight line. In the midst of a turn + power shifting = loss of control. You ain't nowheres near ready for drifting yet.

3. Clutchless shifting: This is where you yank or shove the shifter without touching the clutch. I know some that swear by it. Ideally it's the fastest. I'm not sure how it affects the car. Some say it saves wear and tear on the clutch and pressure plate, but I imagine it's hell on everything else (synchros, gears, etc). Don't do it. But if you do, I'm sure your mechanic will love you for the vacation he'll be able to afford for him and his family afterwards.

Stick with #1 for now and you'll know when you've got it down. Done right, in most cases, it's fast enough.....
Old 11-26-2006, 06:05 PM
MoKo_04GT
4th Gear Member

i "heel to toe" in my stang with no problems at all....same when i had my last one too (98 vert)...i dunno....maybe its b/c i have big feet? size 12...its not HUGE...but i heel to toe no problem with it lol