4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

NEED HELP ASAP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 10:05 PM
ibeeskeef
2nd Gear Member

Default NEED HELP ASAP!!

Here is the deal. I just got back from Thanksgiving and didn't drive my stang all weekend. The wife and I took it on a trip to lowes this evening which is less than 5 miles away and I noticed a strange ticking noise. Let me explain.

I heard the noise when I would let off of the gas for any gear change. The ticking would be very fast and gradually slow down if I kept the clutch on the floor. As soon as I sped up and went to change gears the noise would be very fast again and gradually slow down when I got off the gas. I am not sure how it sounded when I was on the gas because I have magnaflows and that is all I hear inside the car. The car did not handle any differently or have any problems with driving whatsoever. It was not a very loud ticking noise. It was not metal nor anything like pinging. I really sounded like when a kid puts a baseball card in his bike wheel. Anyway, I get home and decide to try to check it out in the dark. I start the car and look around and find nothing. I go back to my driver's seat and all of a sudden there is a very loud POP. It sounded like an air hose exploded under the hood. I figured it would be easy to spot and I could fix it. Well no. I don't see a single loose hose or any other problem under the hood! There are not fluids leaking anywhere and there is just a faint odor that I can't locate.

I need someone to help me identify the problem! I took a short video with my digital camera so you could hear the noise which I will post below. I know you cannot see anything in the video, but you can hear the noise very clearly. It was way too dark and my flashlight didn't do much good while shooting the video. Keep in mind that this is what the noise sounds like now, after the loud pop or explosion. The noise is 100 times louder than it was when I was driving the car. I also had to move the car about 10 ft in my driveway after the explosion and the car had major driving problems. Shifting into first gear didn't feel normal at all and the car was shaking and bouncing its way into the driveway. HELP!!!

http://media.putfile.com/help-24
Old 11-26-2006, 10:12 PM
slow99GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: NEED HELP ASAP!!

Ceck to make sure you didnt pop a spark plug.. mine was making a ticking noise I thought I blew it come to find out it was a loose spark plug...
Old 11-26-2006, 10:12 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

Almost sounds like a valve problem[&:] (knock on wood)...you been sprayin the nitrous too much? that odor you said you couldnt locate, like a gas odor or exhaust odor?
Old 11-26-2006, 10:16 PM
bleau
2nd Gear Member

With the clutch engaged does the clicking noise happen when your not moving?
I'm thinking the trans.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:17 PM
slow99GT
3rd Gear Member

I put money on a spark plug... [8D]
Old 11-26-2006, 10:20 PM
ibeeskeef
2nd Gear Member

it makes the ticking noise now in neutral with no clutch engaged. Like I said before, the faint ticking noise I could not tell because the mufflers are too loud.

Also, the smell was similar to a gas smell, but very faint and there was not fluid leaking anywhere.

I have not sprayed the nitrous in many months and did not spray it tonight when I noticed the ticking. The blown spark plug idea is a good one, but I have never heard a spark plug actually explode. Can they do that?
Old 11-26-2006, 10:22 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

+1

it sounds like a loss of compression, somewhere

ORIGINAL: slow99GT

Ceck to make sure you didnt pop a spark plug.. mine was making a ticking noise I thought I blew it come to find out it was a loose spark plug...
Old 11-26-2006, 10:22 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

if its a gas smell then the valve is out, be thankful

check the plugs and coil connections, while its night u can make sure all the plugs are firing too
Old 11-26-2006, 10:53 PM
slow99GT
3rd Gear Member

THey done (POP) they just come loose.. when they are loose they make a faint ticking noise then once they work all the way out it gets really loud.. and sounds just like how ur car sounds
Old 11-26-2006, 11:26 PM
ibeeskeef
2nd Gear Member

it was the third plug on the passanger side that came loose. all is well now! Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP ASAP!!