MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Really need help, this is pissin me off (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/21061-really-need-help-this-is-pissin-me-off.html)

stonemonk9 08-26-2004 04:10 AM

Really need help, this is pissin me off

ok, eversince i did the pi headswap, if im jus kinda cruisin in 2nd or somthn, kinda like parking lot driving, my car will overheat, i have noticed the fan doesnt come on except if i hit the air. i threw in a 160 thermastat and on the highway it runs colder than it probably shuld, but i really need ur guys help. and wen it overheats, all the coolant comes out, it gets bone dry! please somebody b4 i end up wreckin somthn

Dan04COBRA 08-26-2004 04:36 AM

RE: Really need help, this is pissin me off

Too cool engine temps will damage rings over time...

If your secondary fan isn't turning on unless your AC is running, all indications point to a relay.

loosenut 08-26-2004 06:52 AM

ORIGINAL: Dan02GT

Too cool engine temps will damage rings over time...

If your secondary fan isn't turning on unless your AC is running, all indications point to a relay.

i 2nd that remark

pichinco 08-26-2004 10:31 AM

I know I sound like a broken record, but get a Haynes manual. There is a procedure in there on how to troubleshoot, diagnose and fix your fan problem.

Stupid question...but did you re-install the coolant sensor. I remember reading about doing the PI head swap and depending on the "style" intake you used, you had to do some re-engineering for the coolant sensor.

stonemonk9 08-26-2004 01:45 PM

ya, i put it back in, on the old intake there are two sensors, but on the new one there is only one, so i made a t fitting and put them in there, i have a haynes manual ill have to look in that problem section

timtimmehh 08-26-2004 03:27 PM

one of my old cars did that it was the fan switch/relay. I didn't feel like buying a new relay so i just wired it up so when i start the car the fan runs. Of course I'm an official african american engineer.:D

mdvaldosta 08-26-2004 03:48 PM

Don't you have to add another coolant temp sensor when you do a PI headswap? Im not sure I've never done it but Im pretty sure you have to do something with it.

Monty 08-26-2004 04:00 PM

ORIGINAL: mdvaldosta

Don't you have to add another coolant temp sensor when you do a PI headswap? Im not sure I've never done it but Im pretty sure you have to do something with it.
Naw ...you dont have to add one. You just have to keep the two you got......99+ models only have one. And the rest is self explantory.

pichinco 08-26-2004 04:39 PM

I did the same thing on my old Protege. Just ran the switch wire to ground, and it ran anytime the car was on. Not sure the Mustang has the same setup though. I thought it was computer controlled, I may be way off though. I'll have to check my books when I get to the house. If it is I'm sure you could do some hillbilly rigging to do the same thing, but it'd take a little more work.

mdvaldosta 08-26-2004 04:45 PM

Well if you dont wanna run with your a/c on all the time then you should find the relay and replace it... Dan's right on about that being your problem. You can, if you choose the hillbilly way out, straightwire it as pichinco suggested.... and that that damn 160* stat out