4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2v to 3v How did he do it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 01:04 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Default 2v to 3v How did he do it?

Ok so here's the link for those who haven't seen it yet. Look at me!
Does anyone know anything about this car? Did he use an 05 EEC? Did he use the 05 wiring harness? If he didn't use the 05 EEC I don't know how he would have been able to use the variable vavle timing. Hmmm I knew it would only be a matter of time till we saw this. I'm really interested on how he pulled it off though.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 2v to 3v How did he do it?

Wow that's crazy. I've always wondered if it would work and I guess it does. I wonder how hard it was to do. Like if it's easier than the 4v swap.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:09 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

That's kinda my question too, the pros vs cons on it compared to a 4v swap.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:10 PM
uofipilot
3rd Gear Member

I guess thats pretty sweet. Just out of curiosity, can state police just mail him some tickets based on that video? I was always wondering. Nothing like filming yourself going WAY over the speed limit with your license plates all over the video....

Matt
Old 11-27-2006, 02:13 PM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

Just like you stated I wonder how they got the VVT working, the wiring, and what ECU they used.

God damn that guy needs to post a write up[:@]
Old 11-27-2006, 02:13 PM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: uofipilot

I guess thats pretty sweet. Just out of curiosity, can state police just mail him some tickets based on that video? I was always wondering. Nothing like filming yourself going WAY over the speed limit with your license plates all over the video....

Matt
Not sure about that but what you said makes sense. Hey they never know maybe that was "computer generated"

Edit: Damn I'm tripping I could've condensed these 2 posts into one[&:].
Old 11-27-2006, 02:30 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quick Shot xMLx

Just like you stated I wonder how they got the VVT working, the wiring, and what ECU they used.

God damn that guy needs to post a write up[:@]
No kidding, I am kinda sick of the whole 2v thing. I'm already make away with the 4.6 now I just need a good way to fix my 2v problem. I would like to see a cost comparsion between the 2. I know the computer has to be different. There is so much more to think about with this though. You have the difference in the MAF as far as the IAT and other things are they internal on the 3v? Also doesn't the 3v use a returnless fuel system? I would have to do something about that because I believe that is some what computer orperated. Could you use the same timing cover? It seems like once you figure the questions out this could be a nice swap. The 4v parts are just so expensive. i.e. cams $1000!!! so I'm trying to get around that. Plus it would be nice to have something a little different. You know like a procharged 3v 5.4 in a 96GT[8D]
Old 11-27-2006, 03:38 PM
korn253
3rd Gear Member

I left him a comment asking him about the wiring harness and the ECU, but I'm sure if you call a mustang tuning company like brenspeed they can tell you what you have to do, VT engines sells 3V's so they might know as well.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:48 PM
orangedrp007
2nd Gear Member

i would like to know what you would have to do also, not that i have the $$$ to do it but i would still be interested. How well do the 3v respond to bolt ons compared to the older 4v (mach 1 and cobra)?
Old 11-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

The guy with the 3valve swap posts on mustangboards.com all the time. He blew his old 2v and just swapped in a 3valve. Im not sure if the block is built or not, but I know for a fact that it has ported and polished heads. Took him awhile to get it done, and I think it cost him somewheres around $5-6,000 to get it done. He IS the first person to do a 3valve swap ad I think hes looking at F/I soon...