4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Car cranks but won't start... Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 01:32 PM
shnyroq
1st Gear Member

Default Car cranks but won't start... Please help.

I drive my '00 GT a couple of times a week and the battery is fine. I went to start her up this weekend and it cranks, but won't fire up. I just did a tune up about a month ago with new plugs, fuel filter, etc... Could it be the fuel pump? I did a search, but no one seems to have the same situation.
Thanks!
Old 11-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: Car cranks but won't start... Please help.

Do you hear the pump priming?
Old 11-27-2006, 02:43 PM
grey goose
1st Gear Member

I feel your pain. i am going through the same problems. I am to Autoway Ford to have them hook it up to a computer and see what the deal. I will keep you updated if you want. My car will start but not always on the first try or two. Some people have told me that its not getting spark or fuel. But when my car starts it smells real rich. So i think it may be a sensor malfunctioning , therefore not telling the computer what to do and when to do it. Thats my 2 cents, but like i said i am having autoway check it out and ill let you know what they say.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:41 PM
shnyroq
1st Gear Member

I think I hear the pump priming - I've only had the car since June, so still not real sure on all the noises...

I'm about to take mine to my mechanic too, but that'd be cool if you let me know what happens with yours... I don't smell any gas, but there's just too many things that could be causing it I guess.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:54 PM
grey goose
1st Gear Member

Well i hear the ful pump primimng on mine and its just weird. I had a guy look at it before and he thought it was the fuel pump as well, so he stuck a hearing device in the tank. Turns out he couldnt hear it after the the car was running(Exhaust too loud at the time) but yeah i let you know what he says and please let me know what you find out.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:50 PM
Silver714

I dont know if this is possible on a Mustang, but my wife had the same problem on a 2003 Malibu. I checked everything I could think of in fire & fuel. Had the car towed to a shop and the only thing wrong was the anti theft system had been triggered. That was like a 60 second fix on her car. You basically turn the key on for a few seconds then off for a certian length then back on again to reset the anti theft system. Sorry, I dont know the speciffics on a Mustang or if that is even a possible cause on our cars. Somethin to ask a mechanic about before havin it towed though!
Old 11-27-2006, 09:03 PM
dirtystang04
2nd Gear Member

Sit in your car when there's not too much noise around you. roll your windows down and make sure your stereo is off. turn the key to the on position, NOT all the way like you are going to crank it, just turn it forward and listen. If you hear a faint "buzz" that lasts a couple seconds coming from the back, that means your fuel pump is priming and is probably not your problem. Also, im not 100% on this but im pretty sure Mustangs have a fuel pump (inertia) switch in the trunk that gets triggered when involved in an accident. It might not hurt to check that and see if its tripped for some reason. just tryin' to help... I'm not too sure about the relay switch though, im sure theres others here who would know for sure.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:44 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

A hot,fast,and cheap way to check the fuel pump is to raise the hood and turn the key to the "on" position.Turn it back off and go out under the hood.Find the schraeder fitting where you measure fuel pressure and push in on the little wire stem.This will allow pressurized fuel to spray all over the place telling you if you have fuel pressure or not.
Well,it's really not as bad as all that but I would use a rag to catch some of the fuel.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:05 AM
rvoss5
2nd Gear Member

do those years mustangs have that fuel shut off valve or whatever inside the car? this happend on a couple 04 mustangs when i sold cars for ford.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:17 AM
shnyroq
1st Gear Member

Those are all great tips... I'll check them out before I call for the tow. Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: Car cranks but won't start... Please help.