4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

need help on Superchargers/Turbos

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 08:13 PM
98cobratx
1st Gear Member

Default need help on Superchargers/Turbos

i have a 98 cobra and im about to start a supercharger/turbo savings fund im looking to purchase one this coming summer but i really have no idea what to go with or where to start looking. i need some help whats better superchargers turbos what kind of intercooler is best to go with air to air or water cooling i know this method requires battery relocation but is it better i really have no clue, where is the best place to purchase them what. ive looked around and i cant seem to find any turbo setups but id rather go with that since i feel its less commen but i have no clue the price range any info would be great as i am clueless
Old 11-28-2006, 09:28 PM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: need help on Superchargers/Turbos

Modular Powerhouse has good blower and turbo kits. I got my blower kit from them and had them tune it and my car runs awesome! The turbo kits cost an arm and a leg but it would be cool if you had the money. They suggest the paxton air to air intercooler with most of their setups. check them out modularpowerhouse.com
Old 11-28-2006, 09:35 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

The real answer is there is no right answer...let me put it to ya this way

Supercharger:
Twin - Kenny Brown, Whipple, Eaton: called positive displacement, make X amount of boost all the time, really fun, makes a lot of power, awesome whining sound
Centrifugal- vortech, procharger, paxon: build up boost over the RPM range, easy on parts, great for drag racing, a little quieter with a slight whistle

Turbo: able to make a whole lot of power, a little expensive to do, builds boost over the RPM range like Centrifugal, a whole lot of piping/tuning and you might as well get an intercooler

Intercoolers:
Air to Air - Use it if your making less than 12psi of boost, cools it enough for daily driving and not as complicated
Air to Water - Can cool a whole lot more than air to air, but really only more efficient for 12+ psi

People are gonna argue this back and forth, there's already a lot of info on the site, search for it...in the end you'll pick what is best for you based on what your looking for
Old 11-28-2006, 11:01 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

nicely put. i saw an article in MMFF involving a 98 cobra, he had a twin setup and he was making 980whp. in the article they said that a busa w/ nitrous got beat by him. they also said that it was tuned for daily driving so it wasnt horrible to drive. let me look up the article and maybe i can get you some more info on his setup
ORIGINAL: ponysnake99

The real answer is there is no right answer...let me put it to ya this way

Supercharger:
Twin - Kenny Brown, Whipple, Eaton: called positive displacement, make X amount of boost all the time, really fun, makes a lot of power, awesome whining sound
Centrifugal- vortech, procharger, paxon: build up boost over the RPM range, easy on parts, great for drag racing, a little quieter with a slight whistle

Turbo: able to make a whole lot of power, a little expensive to do, builds boost over the RPM range like Centrifugal, a whole lot of piping/tuning and you might as well get an intercooler

Intercoolers:
Air to Air - Use it if your making less than 12psi of boost, cools it enough for daily driving and not as complicated
Air to Water - Can cool a whole lot more than air to air, but really only more efficient for 12+ psi

People are gonna argue this back and forth, there's already a lot of info on the site, search for it...in the end you'll pick what is best for you based on what your looking for
Old 11-28-2006, 11:43 PM
98cobratx
1st Gear Member

thats alot guys this info is great anybody else keep it comin
Old 11-28-2006, 11:51 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ponysnake99

Supercharger:
Kenny Brown???? lol Do you mean Kenne Bell?
Old 11-28-2006, 11:53 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

how the world that one happen?!?![sm=bangbang.gif]

tool bag