4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

clutch squeaks, ne ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 08:25 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Default clutch squeaks, ne ideas?

ok guys, whenever i push in my clutch pedal it squeaks as it goes down, and then when i let it back up it squeaks again, i know it isn't the clutch itself, but i dont know much about the rest of the pedal and the linkage and whatever else is down there, can i spray some wd-40 somewhere to get that anooying sound to go away everytime i shift? thanx 4 the help

Black Mage
Old 08-27-2004, 08:32 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: clutch squeaks, ne ideas?

Hey... mine just started doing that last night. I think its the throw out bearing but Im just gonna replace the whole clutch kit this weekend with a McCloud double plate or something of the sort.

It almost sounds like the squeek is coming from the clutch itself as you engage the clutch with the pedal.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:20 AM
S_man_9

throwout bearing. WD40 might help if there is grease of dirt buildup on it. Give it a try.
Old 08-28-2004, 04:05 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

i dunno though, my buddy had a throw out bearing go on his acura and it didn't sound the same, it isn't comeing from the trani itself, it seems like there is something rubbing on where the pedal is, i listerned closly and it seems to b coming from right down by the pedal, like the cable is rubbing on something, or the pedal itself is rubbing, sorry, it isn't really a squel or squeakit does it only when the clutch pedal is being moved, so as i push it in it goes creak(or w/e it sounds like) then when the pedal stops moving, it stops, then as i let it back out, it makes noise as its coming back, but if i stop half way it stops, so i think it has to do with the pedal maybe, i don't think its the bearing, thats just what i think, im not trying to b a wise ***, im still taking your opinions into account here, but thanx though for your .02 cents

Black Mage
Old 08-31-2004, 08:59 PM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

it's the pilot bearing. my GT does it, my friends brand new mach 1 does it. it's just something they do, WD40 it or just learn to live with it.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:31 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

Sorry to laugh guys. But a pilot bearing?? Come on, a throw out bearing??? lol. It happens o toyota trucks alot and also on Focus' alot. I know what yure talking abou Black. It has nothing to do with the tranny. I would recommend a new Clutch quadrant and adjustable cable. I also wouldnt recommend spraying ANYTHING into where youre throw out bearing is. Becuase the last thing you want on youre clutch disk is WD-40!
Old 09-01-2004, 04:00 PM
DUB 6
I ♥ Acer

Yeah ford has a major problem with this....My clutch went out on my stang at about 8,000 miles and i wasn't abusing it at all... No WD-40 will not cure it..You will have to replace the clutch and throw out bearing...It will cost you atleast $1000 at the dealership if your car is out of warranty.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:18 PM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Casper98GT

Sorry to laugh guys. But a pilot bearing?? Come on, a throw out bearing??? lol. It happens o toyota trucks alot and also on Focus' alot. I know what yure talking abou Black. It has nothing to do with the tranny. I would recommend a new Clutch quadrant and adjustable cable. I also wouldnt recommend spraying ANYTHING into where youre throw out bearing is. Becuase the last thing you want on youre clutch disk is WD-40!
I'm glad somebody jumped on this I was really thinking I was losing my mind. Last I checked the only way to get to the either bearing is to pull the tranny. You mean slippery clutches aren't a good thing? <grin>

Now what is a clutch quadrant? The noise I think he is describing is the one I have and it's definitely cable related. I haven't gotten down under the dash to look for repair yet. I can't imagine it is tranny related at all!! Unless it's a different noise. The one I have is a metallic squeal that sounds like it's coming from inside the car when you depress and release the clutch.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:46 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

tight metal cable on plastic quadrant = squeaks. you might try some dry lubricant like graphite on the two pieces to see if this quiets them down.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:07 PM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

Again. What's a quadrant?

According to dictionary.com

quad-rant (kwdrnt) n.

1. Mathematics.
a. A circular arc of 90°; one fourth of the circumference of a circle.
b. The plane area bounded by such an arc and two perpendicular radii.
c. Any of the four areas into which a plane is divided by the reference axes in a Cartesian coordinate system, designated
first, second, third, and fourth, counting counterclockwise from the area in which both coordinates are positive.
2. A machine part or other mechanical device that is shaped like a quarter circle.
3. An early instrument for measuring altitude of celestial bodies, consisting of a 90° graduated arc with a movable radius
for measuring angle.

Let me gues it's #2.

Quick Reply: clutch squeaks, ne ideas?