4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Nervous about this MAC catback...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 01:37 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Nervous about this MAC catback...

Well the previous owner put it on mine a while ago, I think hes had it on for maybe 1-2 years and it was the older style MAC catback without the black coating (durablack or whatever its called), so it has some slight rust around the edges of the mufflers, but nothing too serious.

Not to jack the thread or anything, but speaking of MAC products, do the Prochambers have the same problems with fitting and welding?? Or are those okay products?
Old 11-29-2006, 01:38 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Yeah yeah, I see what you 2 are saying. But bottom line they presented the product with crappy welds.

You get what you pay for in the end. Is it worth it? Depending on how good your eye is, or how much your patience can be tested, sure MAC products might be a good way to save a buck.

However, I don't have the patience and I've learned my lesson. [8D]
Old 11-29-2006, 02:25 AM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

I just dont know of anything else that gives a Mustang that muscle sound. I know MRT is chambered but I cant find a single clip except the ones on their site but arent really much good.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:28 AM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

My catback turned out pretty good, but I wouldn't get the longtubes the fitment sucks!
Old 11-29-2006, 09:42 AM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

I dont plan on doing headers anytime soon. Im gonna go talk to the guy and see what he means about it being "crap" it is %100 stainless and i mean...stainless is stainless so maybe its just a few misplaced welds or something. Ill bring the box with all the parts along with it to see what he thinks.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:19 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Well Matt, it may be stainless steel but having good welds in important., otherwise you will have exhaust leaks, which are a pain. The cheaper catbacks are tempting for us poor guys like you and me, but I couldn't stand putting anything 2nd rate on my Mustang, so eventually I will have enough money for the Borla Stingers. And I'm not getting it because it's expensive but rather I've used Borla before and their quality is excellent. And yes the Stingers have the V8 muscle car sound. In fact I think the Stingers are one of the loudest/deepest catbacks available for our cars.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:14 AM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Slicktastyk Matt

I just dont know of anything else that gives a Mustang that muscle sound. I know MRT is chambered but I cant find a single clip except the ones on their site but arent really much good.
what about flowmaster and spintechs? They both sound pretty good.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:45 AM
blacllkllsi
3rd Gear Member

I have MAC longtubes, prochamber and MAC catback and I have no problems at all. Sounds great also. I would recommend MAC to anyone who is'nt interested in just paying for a name brand.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:24 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mark99GT

ORIGINAL: Slicktastyk Matt

what about flowmaster and spintechs? They both sound pretty good.
Spintechs are MAD expensive. I thought about getting the system from them but it was $800. Of course this includes catback AND o/r X pipe. I looked everywhere and I dont think you can get JUST the catback alone. They are a relatively small company so they don't have many distributors. If you wanted economical option you could just buy the mufflers I guess.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:54 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

You should just send me your MAC catback for free, I want a new sound...lol

After I receive it I will cut off my flowmaster american thunder catback and send you that!

Quick Reply: Nervous about this MAC catback...