4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Blower Likes Cold Weather ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 01:01 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Blower Likes Cold Weather ?

Well, in a small matter, it does.. The nitrogen and oxygen split at high temps, and when this happens, the Oxygen is more of a catalyst for better combustion..

It doesn't necessarily add substantial air to the engine, but it creates a much more efficient cycle, and increases the speed in which combustion can propagate.. By cooling the air intake charge, it actually is a mass multiply, if you will.. Besides, in their individual form, both Nitrogen and Oxygen are highly combustable..

JT
Old 12-03-2006, 01:06 PM
96cobra10101
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DILO2001GT

the cooler the air the better

a s/c is a glorified cai so that colder air helps. only thing with the cold is that traction sucks[&:]
hahaha. Funny. I have over 400rwhp. I like being glorified. Maybe you were thinking of a turbonator.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:09 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: newb2000GT

Those with AFR guages will notice a change in their ratio during cooler weather (or even dry weather) relative to hot/humid weather without changing anything. That's why it is important to not go to lean with the tune in the warmer months as you'll be even leaner during cool mornings or during the cooler seasons. It may not be a big deal for the weekend warriors but us DD guys need to keep that in mind.
You should not be noticing ANY change in your A/F ratios due to temperature changes.

Not only is your car equipped with a IAT sensor to detect intake temp, but the entire point of a "mass air" metering system is to measure the amount of air pulled into the engine. Your MAF/IAT will compensate for any outside temperature and adjust the fuel injection accordingly.

The reason the car runs better in colder temperatures is because the air is more dense. The more dense the air, the more oxygen gets into the combustion chamber, the more fuel the car can add, and the more power you can make.

Not to mention that on supercharged (and to a lesser degree n/a) applications the colder incoming air allows the computer to not pull as much timing, making more power. Without an intercooler, I can defintaly tell a large difference in the car even going from 80 degrees outside to 100. The tune is setup to pull timing when IAT temps rise to prevent detonation (from the warmer incoming air).
Old 12-03-2006, 01:14 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

More bad information... Nitrous is N2O.. which means 2 parts Nitrogen, and 1 part oxygen - does that sound like "more air" to you? You don't have to be a chemistry major to figure that out...
ORIGINAL: blownbayou

one more thing.....

What do you think Nitrous actually adds to your motor.......MORE AIR!!!!!!!

kinda glorified right????
In a basic sense, that is exactly what nitrous does. Nitrous is an oxidizer, not a fuel. This is what makes the scene on "the fast and the homo" so funny, when the car explodes after they yell "NOS!!". You can take a bottle of nitrous, open the valve, and put a flame directly into the stream and it won't explode (just like oxygen).

FI, in any form (turbo/blower/nitrous) is only serving one point, to get more oxidizer down into the combustion chamber, so that you can also spray more fuel in there and keep the air/fuel ratio ideal, and thus make more power.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:35 PM
blownbayou
3rd Gear Member

More bad information... Nitrous is N2O.. which means 2 parts Nitrogen, and 1 part oxygen - does that sound like "more air" to you? You don't have to be a chemistry major to figure that out...

one more thing.....

I guess you HAVE to be a Chem major to figure it out because you are WAAAAAY off!!!! Read the post above mine and he is dead on.

I guess 2000+ posts does not mean much when it comes to information

NItrogen seperates from the oxygen (which cools your intake temps) and the Oxygen is introduced into the cylinders (MORE AIR)

Later
Old 12-03-2006, 03:37 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

Wow. This is funny. You guys seriously need to go back to school. Or atleast go to a community college. I was gonna go off about all the chemical, atmospheric, and barametric properties and all that but i've already done that once. So ill let you guys figure it out. I've taken Chem, physics, and thermodynamics in college. So you guys will figure it out!
Old 12-03-2006, 03:39 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

one more thing.....

I guess you HAVE to be a Chem major to figure it out because you are WAAAAAY off!!!! Read the post above mine and he is dead on.

I guess 2000+ posts does not mean much when it comes to information

NItrogen seperates from the oxygen (which cools your intake temps) and the Oxygen is introduced into the cylinders (MORE AIR)

Later
Nitrogen doesnt just cool the intake charge. And for that matter oxygen could do that. BUt i guess you have to be a Chem major to figure that out
Old 12-03-2006, 03:39 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

That's why you've been soo much help in this converstation... Thanks for the tip..

JT
Old 12-03-2006, 03:42 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

one more thing.....

In a basic sense, that is exactly what nitrous does. Nitrous is an oxidizer, not a fuel. This is what makes the scene on "the fast and the homo" so funny, when the car explodes after they yell "NOS!!". You can take a bottle of nitrous, open the valve, and put a flame directly into the stream and it won't explode (just like oxygen).

FI, in any form (turbo/blower/nitrous) is only serving one point, to get more oxidizer down into the combustion chamber, so that you can also spray more fuel in there and keep the air/fuel ratio ideal, and thus make more power.
It is flamable my friend. It's OXYGEN! Go shoot a bottle of oxygen with a 7mm and tell me what happens. Same with N20. It exploded becuase the pressure in the bottle got to high because the car was on fire. Fire=heat=pressure=explosion. After the explosion the oxygen all rushed out of the bottle superfeeding the fire causing the explosion. So throw a bottle of N20 in the fire and tell me what happens
Old 12-03-2006, 03:50 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

NO2 has a cooling effect based solely on the fact that it's pressurized. Try this, breathe out with your mouth open wide. You get hot air (about 98.6*). Now, compress your lips and blow. The air seems cooler, right? Very simple test that was and now you all pass.

Nitrogen molecules are simply carriers for the oxygen molecule. More O2 + more fuel = more hp.

From "how stuff works":

When you heat nitrous oxide to about 570 degrees F (~300 C), it splits into oxygen and nitrogen. So the injection of nitrous oxide into an engine means that more oxygen is available during combustion. Because you have more oxygen, you can also inject more fuel, allowing the same engine to produce more power. Nitrous oxide is one of the simplest ways to provide a significant horsepower boost to any gasoline engine.

Nitrous oxide has another effect that improves performance even more. When it vaporizes (i.e. leaves the N2O nozzle), nitrous oxide provides a significant cooling effect on the intake air. When you reduce the intake air temperature, you increase the air's density, and this provides even more oxygen inside the cylinder.

The only problem with nitrous oxide is that it is fairly bulky, and the engine needs a lot of it. Like any gas, it takes up a fair amount of space even when compressed into a liquid. A 5-liter engine running at 4,000 rotations per minute (rpm) consumes about 10,000 liters of air every minute (compared to about 0.2 liters of gasoline), so it would take a tremendous amount of nitrous oxide to run a car continuously. Therefore, a car normally carries only a few minutes of nitrous oxide, and the driver uses it very selectively by pushing a button.

Quick Reply: Blower Likes Cold Weather ?