4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I am New to Mustangs. Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 04:32 PM
playazprez

Default I am New to Mustangs. Advice Please

Hello I am new to mustangs. I just bought a 1999 GT with some mods done already. I am going to list the info the guy who sold me the car gave me. If some one can tell me any other simple mods that can be done that are not listed. I am new to mustangs I came from a 2000 ford Countor SVT. I always loved fords. Anyway this mustang is fast but i am sure there are some simple mods left i can do to gain some HP. Any feedback anyone can give me would be great.
Thanks
Here is the info i have.-

Remember the is the last year of the Windsor Motor for the GT, that means it's a stronger 8 Bolt Crank Motor with Thicker Block Webbing. 2000 and newer GT's have Romeo Motors with Thinner Blocks and only 6 Bolt Cranks. Stock a 99GT has 260 HP at the Flywheel and Dyno's @235 Rear Wheel HP. This GT now has 385 HP to the Rear Wheels, as well as 385 ft lbs of tq. Thats well over 400/400 at the Flywheel and along with the 4.10 Gears and the MGW Shifter all I can say is THIS THING IS FAST AND FUN....

Procharger P-1SC @ 10lbs (1FE211-10I H.O. Intercooled System), 2 Core Air to Air Intercooler, 42lb FRPP Injectors, 90mm FRPP Maf, 255lph SVT Focus Fuel Pump, 4.10 FRPP Gears, MGW Shifter, Tokico Shocks & Struts, Eibach Lowering Springs, Urethane Bushings, Caster Camber Plates, 17" Polished Cobra Rims, BF P275/40R17 Drag Radials, SCT Tuning by Sal of Power Surge Performance.

I have A LOT of money into this Mustang, the problem is I'm a Lightning guy will always be a Lightning guy and I bought another one yesterday, so now "something has to go" ( After all my hard work and money I just had to see the result's, even if just once. Friday it went to a Race Track for the first time in it's life, the SOB ran a 12.75 @ 114.28 MPH. That MPH is awesome and capable of very low 12's just the way it sits, (it was my first time ever racing with a stick too).

There is nothing more to tell, I drive it 24/7, it gets 20+ MPG on the open road, it's fast as _ _ _ _, looks brand new, drives like a Hi End Sports Car, and everything works perfect. (correction: the fogs don't and I never checked why) No secretes, no disappointments, nothing to hide....
Old 11-30-2006, 04:39 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I am New to Mustangs. Advice Please

Throttle body, intake elbow, heads, cams...might wanna reduce the gear from 4.10s to bout 3.90s or 3.73s (had a very interesting convo about staying in boost, hafta elaborate later)...headers, midpipe, after-cat...when u get tired of that...

then a pulley and forged internals, 31 spline axles (which u may go ahead and need) and some slicks[sm=badbadbad.gif]

not bad for a first snag
Old 11-30-2006, 04:45 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

Yea, nice grab indeed. Is it going to be a daily driver? Do you have to worry about emissions? What sort of budget are you facing? Just from a look at your mods, the thing that stands out the most is no exhaust. You have plenty going in, not much help getting it out. Also, so big fat rear tires will help get that hp on the ground.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:50 PM
playazprez

First off thanks for the replys.
What Kind of exaust would anyone suggest for the set up i have with the procharger and all? Also I like the real deep sound but HP more then anything. O yea and it is a daily drive for me.

[IMG]local://upfiles/55216/2CA7365D5499427C99DFC0AF24A57BEA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/55216/9C83FD21A1314C978138BD9C05DB98C1.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-30-2006, 05:00 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

I'm not sure how much you know about exhaust, but there are 3 main components. Headers, mid pipe and cat back. Headers come in long and short tube. Shorties aren't worth the hassle (headers are a pain to install - long tubes fail a visual inspection in most areas). The mid pipe comes either off road or catted. If you have to pass an emissions test, off roads will fail. The size of your mid pipe will depend if you have or will have headers too. The mid pipe will either be h or x pipe. H pipe gives you (a little) more torque, and is a deep sound. The x will give (a little) more hp, and is a bit raspier. The cat back is either straight through or muffler. No emissions to worry about. You can do exhaust in stages, but if you are going with headers, make sure you get the right mid pipe - a lot of it comes down to sound. My suggestion is to listen to some clips, and go from there. http://www.mustangexhaust.com/
Old 11-30-2006, 05:28 PM
sitnlopro99gt
4th Gear Member

I saw that thing on ebay was thinking about getting myself you got a great deal goodluck with it
Old 11-30-2006, 05:33 PM
II 98 GT II
4th Gear Member

Nice car man, congrats on the purchase.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:45 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

EBAY FTW!!!

Old 11-30-2006, 06:23 PM
beastzilla02
5th Gear Member

nice man..get slp1 =P
Old 11-30-2006, 07:17 PM
ripper
3rd Gear Member

You need an anderson powerpipe to get that cold air outa your wheelwell instead of that hot air under your hood. And a nice tb and plenum set up. Car is awesome. I like verts.

Quick Reply: I am New to Mustangs. Advice Please