4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How do Magnapacks sound at idle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 08:51 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Default How do Magnapacks sound at idle?

Okay after weeks and weeks of trying to make the best decision for an exhaust I started reading about Magnaflow Magnapacks. Now from what I've read these are a good happy medium between raw/raspiness and deep/throatiness and plenty of "tone". I trust the Magnaflow name and it's a stainless steel construction. Good loud sound with a unique WOT scream as many have pointed out. However how does it sound at idle? Is it nice and deep and burbly like the Stingers or is it loud only when you step on it? Having a mean idle is important to me too.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:07 PM
korn253
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: How do Magnapacks sound at idle?

They are pretty deep at idle, they arnt terribly loud though but they still sound really nice. If u get a different midpipe thats a different story, i was sitting in my friends civic behind my car waiting for it to warm up, and you could feel the exhaust vibrate his car. I had my exhaust set off an alarm once while starting my car b4 I got the x-pipe, so they arnt too quiet on the outside, but they are on the inside.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:08 PM
99mustang0
4th Gear Member

they sound pretty sweet at idle but the meat is in the WOT sound Its not as loud as stingers but it sounds awesome all the way around, i love my packs.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:10 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Man you are alllll over the place arent you hahahaha

I think the Packs sound pretty sick especially with an o/r mid pipe.

packs with mac o/r x (nice sound at normal driving)

packs with a magnaflow o/r x (niiice idle clip...)

Id say they sound similar to Borla [8D] Pretty bad ***

ACTUALLY the idling one sounds like ****. Nice idle but wow talk about major diarria when he revs it [:'(]

Old 11-30-2006, 09:11 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99mustang0

they sound pretty sweet at idle but the meat is in the WOT sound Its not as loud as stingers but it sounds awesome all the way around, i love my packs. Do you plan on any midpipe?
Yeah possibility. I'm thinking a catted X pipe or H pipe, it all depends on how the Magnapacks sound on my stock setup. If it needs more rawness/rasp I'll go X, if it's not deep enough I will go w/ an H.

Korn,

How did the X-pipe change the sound of your Packs?
Old 11-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Slicktastyk Matt

Man you are alllll over the place arent you hahahaha

I think the Packs sound pretty sick especially with an o/r mid pipe.

packs with mac o/r x (nice sound at normal driving)

packs with a magnaflow o/r x (niiice idle clip...)

Id say they sound similar to Borla [8D] Pretty bad ***

Hehe, I'm the most indecisive **** you will ever meet. I'm thinking of just buying something soon before I go crazy w/ thinking about what I should get. Everybody seems to love their Magnapacks., best of both worlds. loud but not CRAZY loud, and plenty of tone and deepness. Yep they do kinda sound like Borla, but without the insane price.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:17 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

I have them on a basically stock GT (CAI, and diablosport tune) and it makes it's loudest 'tone' at about 2000-2500 RPM... it's really nice and throaty.. WOT it screams... and at idle it's a nice mellow deep tone... not overkill like some others... I have a 5 hour drive from ODU in VA to my house in NJ... and in an auto the drone isn't annoying like other exhuast... IMHO the magnapacks are wonderful exhuast!!!!!
Old 11-30-2006, 09:17 PM
korn253
3rd Gear Member

ALOT louder, especially on the inside. If I was to do it again I would go with an h-pipe becuz the x-pipe is a lil too high pitched for me, but it still sounds great.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:21 PM
korn253
3rd Gear Member

Heres my car on the dyno with the x-pipe, the rn doesnt actually start till about a minute 30...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4VEjpfxUawA
Old 11-30-2006, 09:29 PM
99mustang0
4th Gear Member

trust me your going to want an x or h pipe once you put the catback on. You will want it louder. I have a catted bassani x right now but am putting on a o/r bassani X in the next couple days. I cant wait.

Quick Reply: How do Magnapacks sound at idle?