4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Speed shop for gears in CT/MA?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 10:36 PM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

Default Speed shop for gears in CT/MA?

ok first off, I plan on buying THIS within a week. I dont think this is a job that I can do by myself and something that I really wouldnt want to F*** up.

My regular mechanic wont do aftermarket work, just maitenance and repairs on stock stuff....I only know of one speed shop in the central CT area that does this sort of work and they basically quoted me for $600....just labor....I'm buying the actual gears. I thought that was a little bit steep, but I want to know what you guys think....and let me know of any/all shops you guys go to in CT and/or southern MA....

also, are there any additional things I should pick up for the install?
Old 11-30-2006, 10:42 PM
sitnlopro99gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Speed shop for gears in CT/MA?

janetty racing in waterbury ct and xx tuning in east hartford are all places you can get them installed both are great shops which work on stangs all day long so its a place you can trust and they are also sponsors of www.lmmc-ct.com so if your a member or become one you can get a club member discount let me know if you have any questions. Also I'm getting mine from mustangs unlimited in manchester, CT you need to get shims and the pinion bearings as well as friction modifier for the install http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/key...ywords=g410kit
Old 11-30-2006, 10:51 PM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

nice thanks man....im closer to xx tuning so i'll check them out.....does 600 bucks seem like a high labor cost though? or is that about normal?

and would THIS be a good kit to get with the GEARS
Old 11-30-2006, 11:11 PM
sitnlopro99gt
4th Gear Member

no prob janettys is right around 600 ask for ted, xx is a little less ask for chris or craig that area its a pretty common price infortunatley thats why im installing them myself over xmas break. The kit is a little overkill for gear swap all you really need is like the one I first put up but if you got the money it wont hurt. good price for the gears and tuner kit and either of those shops are xcal certified I got my car tuned at xx with the sct and I have got all my tires and suspension alignments and stuff done through them. Tell them I sent you
Old 11-30-2006, 11:45 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Don't forget New England Dyno in Douglas MA, just outside Worcestor.

I got my gears installed locally by a shop that maintains several Big Block Dirt Modified race cars for $120, bearings too.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:00 AM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

How long would a job like this take? Do they need to drop the axle? I plan on getting my gears installed by the guy that restored my 67 fastback. Mostly Mustangs in Hamden, CT. But its so hard to get my car in there. I need to start nagging him now for a appointment in Spring.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:05 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

3 hour job at the ABSOLUTE most. Any shop that quotes it for more than 3 hours of labor hasn't a clue what they are doing and shouldn't be touching your car.

A ring & pinion install isn't very hard at all.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:07 AM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

wait wait wait......

so you got yours installed for 120 and i got quoted at 600

youve gotta be f***in kiddin me....

so where is this place and whats their number hahaha
Old 12-01-2006, 12:12 AM
sitnlopro99gt
4th Gear Member

youll never get it for that price at a shop from someone on the side yes and you do need to pull the axles out it is quite simple just got to have the right tools
Old 12-01-2006, 12:17 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: GT03 TJS

wait wait wait......

so you got yours installed for 120 and i got quoted at 600

youve gotta be f***in kiddin me....

so where is this place and whats their number hahaha
It'd be tough to get that price, but it really shows you that $600 is RAPE. You might as well just bend over...

It's a 3 hour job, TOPS. So they charge $200 an hour? C'mon! Tell'em to stuff it! Look around your area for any shops that maintain race cars, drag or dirt/pavement.

The shop I got mine done at, maintain several Dirt Modifieds while they run their auto repair business. They are just honest, experienced mechanics. It took them about 1 1/2 hours to go the gear install.

Quick Reply: Speed shop for gears in CT/MA?