4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

ok.. moving on.. and new to these forums

Old 12-02-2006, 05:12 AM
smirnoFFz
1st Gear Member

Default ok.. moving on.. and new to these forums

My past cars have been:
1995 s14 nissan 240sx (s15 conversion) with an rb20det swap, minor mods, last owned dyno was around 480hp
2000 Chevy s10 xtreme, 350 swapped bored .68, tubbed out, last dyno was over 500hp, is now totalled thanks to non-driving people in my area
2003 Ford Mustang GT, just bought it, less than 50,000 miles which is why i'm here now.

Trying to get some useful information on what I can do with this motor and how much power I can get out of it without doing any type of forced induction for awhile.. also trying to find a few good parts websites for it, don't want to ebay anything.. but I aboslutely love this car, first thing I want to do is get some more tone out of it and make it sound like a real muscle car.

Any tips/sarcasm/bull**** welcomed ;]
Old 12-02-2006, 05:16 AM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: ok.. moving on.. and new to these forums

hey, welcome to MF. sounds like a nice car and its good to have you here. your car has a 4.6 SOHC, so you would probably be better off going to the 4.6 section. If you have any questions just ask
Old 12-02-2006, 05:17 AM
smirnoFFz
1st Gear Member

yeah I wasn't sure what motor was in it.. but thanks, so if any mods see this can ya move it to the 4.6 section? thanks :X
Old 12-02-2006, 09:14 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: smirnoFFz

yeah I wasn't sure what motor was in it.. but thanks, so if any mods see this can ya move it to the 4.6 section? thanks :X
No problem
Old 12-02-2006, 09:46 AM
Triisomy21
4th Gear Member

Without forced induction you wont get anywhere near what you were getting with your other two cars. Honestly, plan on doing some kind of forced induction or you probably wont be really satisfied.

Welcome aboard.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:49 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

First off, welcome to the forums, your gonna love it here, everyone is so helpful, just be sure to post in the right section. Anyways, if you want your Stang to sound nice, a catback exhaust system is what you need. You can pick about any brand out there and it will sound nice. I personally love SLP and hope to ditch my Flowmasters for them someday. A midpipe, which goes between your headers/manifolds and your catback is another thing you need to get, the stock one has 4 cats on it, which are very restrictive, if you dont have emissions you can get a midpipe with no cats. Headers are really your preference, longtubes give the best gains, but can be pricey in cost and installation, shorties are cheaper, but dont give near as much power. Cold air intake and a 70 or 75mm throttle body and intake plenum are other mods that give alittle power. Gears, 3.73's, 4.10's, or 4.30's are amongest the best ones to choose from, they dont add any power, but they get the Stang up and moving. Underdrive pullies can give about 5rwhp or so, Steeda and March are the best brands and usually run about $200. Diablosport or SCT offer a handheld tuner which is around $3-400 depending on what brand and where you get it, you will need one to get the most hp out of these mods and if you get gears you need one to adjust your speedometer. The 2v motor, which comes in the GT isnt the fastest car out there and your really gonna need some F/I, or nitrous to keep up with Vettes and LS1 powered GM cars. Only way to really keep up with just bolt ons is also get some cams and headwork done with a stout suspension setup. Check some of the sponsors around the website, located around the page of the forum. Alot of people use, www.americanmuscle.com , www.brenspeed.com , and www.lmperformance.com is also a good place. If you have any questions please ask and you will get an answer. By the way what tranny you have, auto or manual?
Old 12-02-2006, 10:49 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Welcome aboard. With the list of your past cars....instead of listing mods such as exhaust, gears, etc (these should be obvious, since you've had fast cars). I will give ya the shortcomings for the lil 4.6 2V, okay? First off, the bottome end...Compression is decent, but rods and pistons are junk. I have seen bigger rods come out of a Briggs-n-Stratton. The plastc intake can't be ported and can be a big enemy to one of my best friends...Nitrous.

The gears in the rear are 3.27's and they suck. 5th gear is a TOTAL pig and will make you feel as though someone threw an anchor out. The heads need to breathe more and there are NO aftermarket heads available. You will have to stick with factory heads and spend an arm and a leg buying a complete prepped set with porting and polishing. Well, this will get you started. PLEASE, don't think I am being totally down on our cars, just preparing ya for what is to come if you want to be fast without FI.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:47 PM
kylebgt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: smirnoFFz

My past cars have been:
1995 s14 nissan 240sx (s15 conversion) with an rb20det swap, minor mods, last owned dyno was around 480hp
2000 Chevy s10 xtreme, 350 swapped bored .68, tubbed out, last dyno was over 500hp, is now totalled thanks to non-driving people in my area
2003 Ford Mustang GT, just bought it, less than 50,000 miles which is why i'm here now.

Trying to get some useful information on what I can do with this motor and how much power I can get out of it without doing any type of forced induction for awhile.. also trying to find a few good parts websites for it, don't want to ebay anything.. but I aboslutely love this car, first thing I want to do is get some more tone out of it and make it sound like a real muscle car.

Any tips/sarcasm/bull**** welcomed ;]
First off welcome!! All I can say is that if you put half as much work into the stang as you did into the 240 you will have one bad as$ ride.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:48 AM
smirnoFFz
1st Gear Member

Well.. since my accident I have plenty of money to spend and tons of time to spend on it.. well besides the new g/f and all, but she understands my hobbies ;]

got me a good g/f for once.

but I plan on building the motor first to atleast 400hp before F/I
Old 12-15-2006, 02:54 AM
II 98 GT II
4th Gear Member

haha ahh yes you are new to the mustang world. 400hp N/A. I hope your bank account is as big as you say.

You did come to the right place though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ok.. moving on.. and new to these forums