4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Oil question

Old 12-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Default Oil question

Since i bought my car 4 months ago i still havent done an oil change because i have only put 2200 miles on her. But i guess its time and i was wondering what you guys think is some good oil. Is synthetic worth it? And if my car hasnt been ran on synthetic if i use synthetic could that harm it (my dad says it could but what does he know [:-]). But anyways, what oil should i use??
Old 12-02-2006, 01:55 PM
kylebgt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Oil question

Synthetic> all else.
How many miles do you have? if you have high miles like 100,000+ I would first go with a synthetic blend just to make sure the engine wont burn any and then go full out synthetic. Mobil 1, royal purple, amsoil, castrol are all good brands. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STAY AWAY FROM THE FOLLOWING@@$%#@>> Valvoline engine oil and Fram oil filters. If in doubt of which oil filter to get, get a Motorcraft.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:02 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kylebgt

Synthetic> all else.
How many miles do you have? if you have high miles like 100,000+ I would first go with a synthetic blend just to make sure the engine wont burn any and then go full out synthetic. Mobil 1, royal purple, amsoil, castrol are all good brands. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STAY AWAY FROM THE FOLLOWING@@$%#@>> Valvoline engine oil and Fram oil filters. If in doubt of which oil filter to get, get a Motorcraft.
I would recommend full synthetic, I use Mobil 1 or Royal Purple. As long as you do it yourself, if you pay someone else too do it, full synthetic is going to cost you alot of money. To change my oil myself it costs me $40 not too bad I have to change it about every 2 months.

Kylebgt.... Why do you say stay away from Fram oil filters? I have been using Fram oil filters for a while and havent had any problems. I used to use K&N oil filters but they were getting to expensive.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:34 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Fourth oil post in the last week....

Save the dinosaur juice for for lawn equipment. Count on every one here saying full synthetic. Mobile 1, Lucas, Royal Purple and Redline are favorites. I use Mobile 1.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Jon S

A few things to consider:

My 2004 GT has 7,200 miles on it. I changed the oil at 1,000 to remove any "shavings" right away. At 1,000 I used Motorcraft 0-20 SynBlend for warranty purposes. I've since changed it at 3,000, 5,000, and 7,000. Am using Motorcraft filters, and at Walmart, the oil is cheap - $1.84/quart! It can't hurt to change oil too often.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:55 PM
Gumby
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kylebgt

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STAY AWAY FROM THE FOLLOWING@@$%#@>> Valvoline engine oil and Fram oil filters. If in doubt of which oil filter to get, get a Motorcraft.
+1
Fram was #1 at one time, but now they are crap. It has cardboard end caps for the filter element that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and frequently leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak all the time.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:05 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Dino oil is recommended when you are using a centrifugal S/C bc synthetic is known to leak in the S/C and get sucked into the intake.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:40 PM
mustnglvr
2nd Gear Member

Why stay away from Valvoline?
Old 12-02-2006, 04:04 PM
Gumby
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Adam03GT

Since i bought my car 4 months ago i still havent done an oil change because i have only put 2200 miles on her. But i guess its time and i was wondering what you guys think is some good oil. Is synthetic worth it? And if my car hasnt been ran on synthetic if i use synthetic could that harm it (my dad says it could but what does he know [:-]). But anyways, what oil should i use??
whatever you decide to do DO NOT USE the blends that are rated for 5,000 - 15,000 miles. The oil may last for that long of time but the best oil filter is only rated at around 4,000 miles. Even with the best oil filter it can not remove all of the dirt, sludge etc that builds up in as short as 2,000 miles.

Old 12-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

I have never changed my own oil because i have never cared about a car as much as this one so i am new. Where could you buy Mobile 1 synthetic or Royal purple? Autozone? and i have to buy an oil pan also. Where do you dump your oil at? Anything special i need to do when changing the oil? or i just empty it and refill it? Sorry retarded questions but i need to know

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil question