4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

B&M Short Throw Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 12:42 AM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Default B&M Short Throw Shifter

I am a first time Mustang GT owner. I just bought a 2004 GT 4.6 in January. I have driven pick-ups for the past 10 years so I have a lot to learn. Starting with shifters. I bought a B&M Short Shifter part #45050 and it sure the heck does not appear to fit correctly. When you research the part number it will tell you that it fits 83-2003 models but then when you read on in the details it says 83-00 models. Im confused, and aggrevated. Does anyone know if I bought the right shifter. I located a BBK but I cant tell if it will work on a T-45 tranny. Please help me!!! Anne-Marie[]
Old 08-31-2004, 12:48 AM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: B&M Short Throw Shifter

i bought the bm short throw fit fine in my car, u have to take out the who shift boot then remove the four bolts from that hold the sound cover thingy on, then theres four more bolts that hold on the acctual shifter cover plate, then u slide that out, put the new ball of the shift into the cup and use the four alan key bolts to lock the shift cover plate, then dont forget to set ur shift stops!
Old 08-31-2004, 12:50 AM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

no you don't have the right shifter. late 02 to current mustangs have a tremec 3650 tranny, earlier mustangs have the t-45.

Hopefully you can return it
Old 08-31-2004, 12:56 AM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Thank you sooooooooo much. Im going back to Speedtek tomorrow!!!! Ill post how it turns out tomorrow!!!!!

Anne-Marie
Old 08-31-2004, 01:14 AM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

no prob.

You might want to wait on the shifter change though. 3650 trannies into early '04 had 1-2 grind issues when cold as well as an occasional lock out into third. if you have any of these issues go to Ford. They have a TSB for the issue. If you have an aftermarket shifter installed they may not do the work.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:22 AM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

I havent had any grinding issues at all. I do have a problem hitting 3rd gear but that is normally when Im power shifting, other than that, nothing. I only have 15K miles so it may not have enough miles for that problem. Ill check with my friend who is a tech at a Ford dealer, see what he says, thanks for the heads-up!
Old 08-31-2004, 09:25 AM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

I started getting mine at 3K

Word to the wise, don't power shift a 3650. Extremely senstive to missed gears. Miss it just right and say good bye to your tranny. I would work on timing rather than powershifting, almost as fast. I don't have a vid of how I do it but the shifts are like lightning and I am not powershifting. Scary thought with a 3650.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:53 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Really, I have not heard that before but then again you dont hear that until it happens to you right? You have me very curious now. How can you not be power shifting if your shifts are like lightning. I wish you did have a video! Does your technique involve double-shifting?
Old 09-02-2004, 03:09 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

I just boils down to timing.

As i start to push in the clutch, I start taking out of gear. As the clutch is fully engaged, I just hit neutral with the shift, as I shift into the next gear, I am coming up on the clutch. just as the shift is complete the I am off the clutch. Practice and pratice makes it quick and doesn't beat the tranny so much.Found a side shot of my shift when I was just starting to get the hang of it
Old 09-02-2004, 03:52 PM
OUZBnd
3rd Gear Member

That is some nice shifting silver.

Quick Reply: B&M Short Throw Shifter