4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

@#$%ING FORD WHEELS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 01:00 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Default @#$%ING FORD WHEELS!!!!

Here's a little rant and some interesting info....

The other night I'm tooling around town about midnightish with my girl riding shotgun. I'm new to the area and I'm not familiar with the streets. I'm cruising down a pretty wide street doing 50 in a 45 zone, come over a slight rise and WHAMMO!!!!! I run over something large enough to damn near throw the wheel outta my hands. I pull over up the road and run back to see what I hit....

It was a brick. A ****ing brick.

No VISIBLE damage to the left front tire or wheel. I figure "no biggie" and move on.

The next day while getting on the freeway to go to work I notice vibration coming through the steering column getting more violent as speed increases. I'm thinking I tossed a weight and threw it outta balance or worse, a bent spindle. Side streets to work for a couple days.

That weekend I run over to Tire Pro's to have it checked out. The good news: the wheel is outta balance (coulda been worse). The bad news: there's a cherry on the inside of the rim enough to throw it off balance by 2.25 ounces!!!!

THE INTERESTING PART:

I make a few phone calls to get a replacement wheel. Dealerships want $350 a wheel. Big surprize. I'm thinking Tire Rack time, right? WRONG!!!

It turns out Ford made the Bullit wheel in 4 different shades of anthracite, and they stock all four. Problem is, is that they all carry the same part # and there's a 25% chance they ship the right color. I **** you not. So much for replacing the damn thing....

I ended up just getting it repaired to the tune of $85.

Leave it to Ford to make something 4 different ways, and use the same damn part #....

Old 12-03-2006, 01:18 PM
GThopeful
4th Gear Member

Default RE: @#$%ING FORD WHEELS!!!!

That is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. You would think that they would at least make the part numbers different. Id be one pissed motherf'er if they sent me the wrong color.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:22 PM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

hah that sucks just a few weeks ago leaving my girls house at like 9ish i pull out from the sidewalk and usually i make a big U turn by going across the road into a lot infront of some little autoshop and pulling out back onto the road from there, well that night when i turned into the lot, to my suprise there a was freakin log sitting in a little dip and i run over it with my passenger rear wheel, hopefully no damage was done but it was one hell of a bump and one hell of a thing to p*ss me off.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:22 PM
sitnlopro99gt
4th Gear Member

wow that is ****ty, hopefully what you paid will work out gl
Old 12-03-2006, 01:31 PM
5speedstang
4th Gear Member

yeah i used to work at a tire shop and i have had that problem. it was when he had to do the 2 rears, they were differnt so we put them on the pass side and the other 2 on the driver side. the guy never came back and said the wheels were differnt. so we lucked out but yeah that does suck.

sitnlopro i love the way your car looks, mine is the same color and it looks awsome how you have it set up.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:34 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

wow that is ****ty, hopefully what you paid will work out gl
It's been about a week with no issues. 5 mph ova RR trax from now on....

The cool part is that the place that fixed the wheel unconditionally waranties it for a year.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:49 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

I hit a brick on the freeway doing about 70... i had a hole the size of a half dollar in the sidewall. Not a good experience.

Glad you got the Rim fixed, 85 bucks isn't too bad considering if the tire was toast it would be 100$ +

E.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Azure
2nd Gear Member

I once passed out behind the wheel and woke up doing 70 in the median, back when I had my 6er... it was not happy with me for several weeks.